• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tips for Raibow Runner please..........

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
CARANGIDAE (JACKS)

Elagatis bipinnulata (Quoy & Gaimard)
(Rainbow Runner)
FL: to 115 cm; Wt: 15.3 kg (IGFA all-tackle record)

The Rainbow Runner is a relatively small, but popular, pelagic game fish. It occurs in large schools from the surface to depths of 110 m or more in clear, open-ocean waters and occasionally enters seaward reef waters as shallow as 3 m. It feeds on pelagic crustaceans and small fishes and is harvested principally by trolling.

CIRCUMTROPICAL: All seas warmer than 21°C (70°F)

ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TIPS TO IMPROVE MY CATCH ON THIS FISH ??

SOMETIME THEY HANG AROUND LIKE FOOLISH AMBERJACKS BUT MOST OFTEN THEY COME AND GO IN SECONDS.......JUST LIKE A SUBWAY TRAIN. HOW DO I ATTRACT THEM WITHOUT CHUMMING ?

PHOTO BORROWED FROM BAJADESTINATION WEBSITE

A 1000 Thanks --- IYA

Hi Iya , That's a helluva nice runner !
I've found the same ; they come and go , you just have to make the best of the time you have . Flashers don't keep them either . If you have a FAD , thats a good place to look for them .

YEP, that is one tempting photo from Baja in Mexico, the guy is not me...I am more handsome ...:D :D We don't have that size here. The biggest fisherman say its 2-3 kg and that is considered monster already.....how would a 15kg IGFA world record look like...my god !!!

U are right they either hang around in buoy, FAD or rigs. I was hoping flasher works...but:waterwork .

I realy enjoy this fish, eating and shooting it. I love the way the swim so fast and being so slim it is a real challenge.
Well let me learn more of possible locations.

Thanks Abri.

rainbow runner ...speculation

hi Iya,

I speared one out of a group of three RRs that followed
my boat, but I speard him from the boat.
You might be right to call this cheating,
but: I had been at sea for 68 days nonstop
and had not eaten a
fresh fish in weeks.
- he was delicious!

The reason I mention this here:
I was going
rather slow, 2-3 knots,
and these Rainbowrunners ( 2-3 kilos) followed me for hours!

I SPECULATE that you could drop
your boat's anchor in fairly deep water and wait
until your tidal current gets up to speed while
you hold on and see what turns up.

I sailed through Alas Strait(between Sumbawa and Lombok)

and Lombok Strait(between Lombok and Bali), where the tidal current to
my surprise got up to SEVEN KNOTS -
so - the conditions are there for an experiment.....

Good hunting IYA, like your posts!

...peter, www.juprowa.com/kittel

Hi Peterk,

A scuba diver told me that he did a night drift dive on that Lombok straight that you mentioned....and he told me it was 6 knots. I thought he was shitting me cause most divers unless divers-boaters will not be able to tell 2 knots from 6 knots:D :D .

Now someone as experienced as you confirm this 7 knots speed, I got to believe....DAMN....I'll put that in my mind.

I never had the luxury of RR playing around anchored boats, must experiment sometime. Thanks.

Spearing a thin fish like rainbow runner from a boat is not cheating, it is so slim and agile and it is YUMMY !! If I do fishing on line and if there is no gaff and there is a speargun, I use the speargun from the boat, just 1 band to secure the fish. Don't want to loose a fish. Once we have no gaff and speargun and got a 20kg Yellowfin Tuna on line. I put on my glove and hold its tail while the other crew tried to grab the gills............MAN the way a non-wounded Tuna love to rattle its entire body its scarry, I was totaly "SHAKEN not stirred " ( 007 ) :D :D. Feels like holding on to a bent propeller shaft at 1000 RPM...he he he.

SAIL SAFE
IYA

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT