• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mayhem

Jun 17, 2002
Hello All,

I'm totally new in here. I've been reading some of the posts. I've been interested in trying my hand at freediving ever since watching Big Blue.

I've basically been trying to do what "I think" will help me progress but I doubt it'll get me very far. I was wondering if anyone could give me a brief but detailed enough description on how to get started and what to do...please. I really want to get started on the right path soon and will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mayhem,

I posted some beginner tips a few days ago, under training -
"major variation between static and dynamic".

There is heaps of good stuff if you search through the training section. Just remember there are lots of individual training methods, and people's opinions vary.

Thanks Walrus, I'll check out what I can find.

Just to let you know what I can do so far. I can do about a 35m dynamic in a pool and it takes me about 50 secs, that's with the breast stroke. I've been doing about 3 sets of that about twice a week. I feel I can do more but mentally it's hard to turn around and go for more, plus I don't wanna push it cause I'm alone. As for dry statics, my P.B a week ago out of the blue was an astonishing 3:15. I must have been unsually relaxed cause I didn't even prepare or take many deep breaths prior to that. Before that P.B, the best I'd done was about 2:30 and that was a year ago for fun. That's basically it.

Unfortunately, where I'm from, Malaysia, it's not thought of as normal to be holding your breath as a sport. So...the idea of finding a partner is pretty much out of the question. Most people already think I'm crazy cause I rock climb! So, I'm pretty much alone in this and could use all the help I could get.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Crazy water freaks

Haha,

Well it was Thailand last year where I realized I could hold me breath a while and dive quite deep compared to snorkellers. Upon returning to Vancouver, Canada, last summer, I had the, socially accepted to be insane, thought of diving deeper than 20ft in 12degree water, just to see what was down there.

Since then I have found out about freediving to be known and to some degree popular in an unpopular kinda way. But I think most places it is still rather hard to find yourself in a circle of people saying, "Oh right on, well maybe I can join you to try to hit 4 minute breath holds!"

So don't feel alone is my point. We seem to all be crazy.

Unfortunately, where I'm from, Malaysia, it's not thought of as normal to be holding your breath as a sport.

ki tylerz

here in queensland this year great barrier reef the water temp got up to 33 degrees and it is now 26 or 25 i also noticed a big difference in statics i never used to shiver now I shiver and it takes time of my statics, oh well ill just do dry statics there easier then wet ones

tylerz, thanks for the morale support . If you find anything new you wanna share with me please do.

Mayhem

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT