• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tired of getting stung on the lips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Griff

Certified SCUBA Rider
May 7, 2002
although i ended up having a pretty good dive on friday afternoon, the first half of the dive was terrible. there was a layer of this stringy-stinger soup in the first 3-4m. swimming through it was very painfull because every ten seconds you get a really good zap on the lips (in addition to the constant background stinging). because i dive with a full-suit with hood, gloves and booties, the only area exposed is around my lips.
i ended up holding my hand over my mouth, but that ment holding my gun and flasher in the same hand, so its not ideal.

i've heard of using a piece of lycra to cover that area. has anyone else tried it? what about a thick layer of vaseline? :naughty

please help! the rubber-lips were starting to show an unhealthy interest in me :chatup

Last edited:
I bet a thick layer of vaseline should work although some may think wierd :D or you can try a thick sun protection oil..

Got a bad sting on face from a large sea anemone off St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall a few years ago. I accidentally brushed my cheek right against it :(.

I occasionally come across jelly fish and their stinging tentacles.

For both, I just try to avoid contact. Has worked pretty well so far but not perfect.

Last edited:
I think @foxfish tried some kind of face cover a few years ago (TBC). I also have a vague recollection that Omersub (?) may have offered some kind of diving face cover a few years, possibly Lycra and possibly camo? Obviously facilitating the snorkel is a key concern.

Any greasy substance may damage your mask flange, a piece of Lycra should work provided you make it like an outer flange on your snorkel mouthpiece that pushes against your face as you swim. Those stingers only drape against you as you swim through them so it is encountering trailing filaments that cause the stings. Have had it happen a few times, feels like a razor cut, but it dulls off fairly quickly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT