• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

to reel or not to reel that is the question!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Steven Rawles

Sep 17, 2016
Ok this is probably a stupid question, but I was once told that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask !!
What is the advantage of a reel gun over a normal one ?

Reactions: Mr. X
Kudos for title! (y)
I assume you mean a normal gun without anything, without a float etc.? If so then the advantage of a reel will be high. The reel is essentially a line storing device, and if you shoot a big fish, it's nice to be able to go to the surface! compared to when you use a normal wrap and you're limited to the length of the wrap/gun. And you'll be towed around the ocean for a while if the fish are bigAlso a reel can kind of be used to fight fish but not quite like a fishing reel, you can slow down/put drag on the rate of release of the line, essentially putting pressure on the fish, which will eventually tire it out.
Another adapvantage also when compared to a float line is the freedom of movement, you can go pretty much everywhere and there is nothing (except maybe kelp) to get caught up in your fins!

A few disadvantages:
If you drop your gun, quite often you might lose it, especially with a fish on the end
The dreaded tangles, if you've ever been fishing, you'll know there is nothing worse than a bird nest of line!

Hope these helped and sorry if I missed a few:D
Dive safe,

Rock Shooter

Don't forget there is always the float option

If you are hunting shallow water or over reefs for snappers and similar size fish you don't really need a reel, the line can get wrapped around corals etc. making it a bit of a hassle and/or present a tangle hazard. They also add a little more bulk to your gun which means more drag in the water. The advantage of a reel is knowing that you have enough line to shoot a fish and resurface without having to play tug of war underwater. If you are in blue water or going after larger stronger fish you should be using a floatline instead of tethering yourself or your gear to a potential nantucket sleigh ride situation. Another method of rigging I've seen but wouldn't personally use or recommend is having a your primary (or secondary) reel on your belt with a 6' bungee tethered to the gun, so if your gun reel got spooled or you lose retention of your gun you would have to spool the belt reel as well before being forced to ditch the belt reel & gun. A floatline is still the smarter choice in that situation.

Not a fan of reels, if I was diving in kelp beds somewhere then yes I would use one in that situation. Most of my peers would always recommend towing a dive float & divers flag & this is compulsory in any spearfishing events down here. If you are always towing a float it sort of makes the need for a reel redundant. I dont trust them & think that they are very slow, particularly if you are shooting a lot of fish. With the "rig rope" you also have somewhere to put the fish & quickly reload for the next. What do you do with them when using a reel, not to mention rewinding any line back onto the reel. I have also seen some spectacular failures when the reel line has jamed & the gun is lost with the fish, never happens with a rig rope.

Reactions: Mr. X
Good points.
... With the "rig rope" you also have somewhere to put the fish & quickly reload for the next. What do you do with them when using a reel...
A waist stringer if sharks/seals/snag hazards are not a problem in your area -- I'll let Steven Rawles decide for himself if Portland, Dorset has a shark problem (the local Porbeagle have spooked more than one spearo). Judging by youtube videos, a nearby boat (e.g. RIB) seems to be a popular option.

Last edited:
Not seen a porbeagle yet! but i know they're about :eek:. I suppose there's Only one way to really know what works for me ,I think I'll get a cheep reel and see how I get on!
Thank for all your support everyone ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT