• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tomba - All in One barrel sealing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This could be an idea for Tomb which would have the best possible performance, better than any "free shaft" having the line tied to the tip of the spear.

2mfzx1w.jpg

I am very close to have everything ready for the test. Just have to make the new cone shaped shaft end for tying the knot. I think I could use TombaF800 for the test. Just have to replace O-ring 7 x 2.5 mm with 7 x 3 mm to use it with 7 mm shaft.

Reactions: foxfish
This is similar to what I tested long time ago. It has very high performance because front line is only 0,5 mm! But it is not very user friendly. It is maybe difficult to loosen the knot after shot, especially with gloves.

2wq4md3.jpg

Maybe this would be better...?

dxfndd.jpg

Hey Tomi.
I am a bit behind, but your latest design idea is to make a combination of a nude shaft and a slider shaft?
Basically a TombaF but with a slider to get the best of both worlds?

Yes, that was an early idea that I tried with Tomba7, but was not reliable. I suppose this newer modification might be much better.
The difference is in using PU as on image. I already have an older type TombaF800 (it was using OR 7 x 2.5 mm, for 8 mm shaft) so I can use it just replacing the O-ring with 7 x 3 mm so it will seal 7 mm shaft. I already have tested the sealing. It seems to be OK even if bending the shaft during loading. Slider that I wont to use is actually micro slider for "free shaft". So this spear will be like a spear for free shaft with micro slider, but without a piece of line tied to the front end of the shaft. Final design of the slider will be slightly different, probably made in titanium.

Last edited:
Tomba78 test. 78 means for free shaft 7 to 8 mm and for shaft with butt from 7 to 7,15 mm.

I have not tested the newest TombaFS7 yet. If it would work reliable (regarding sustainability of the sealing O-ring) it might be the Tomba having the best shooting performance up to now. OD of the stainless steel (or titanium) slider is 9.5 mm, max 10 mm after being tied.
"FS" in name denotes Free shaft - Slider, or Tomba For Speed.

What are the advantages of the tomba kits. Is there any worry of extra wear on the plunger from not having any water for a buffer?

What are the advantages of the tomba kits. Is there any worry of extra wear on the plunger from not having any water for a buffer?
Same power on lower pressure, more hydrodynamic spear - higher range, more quiet, less recoil, higher precision on shooting, better buoyancy...

An overall increased performance resulting in a much smoother shot....

I have never had any issues with mine, in fact I still have the same kit on one gun that must be 6-7 years old now, just a couple of changed O rings on the kit but nothing to the gun itself.

Last edited:
Is there any extra maintence you need to do? The reason I ask is I just ordered one for my gun. It is a older gun so I will replace all the o rings when I upgrade the gun.

I just found your video on installing the tomba kit and it says I need to drain the barrell before loading the spear. I use this gun scuba diving most the time will it damage the gun if I don't drain the barrell and load at depth?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT