• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Torch for newbie - (uk)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi
I am tempted to go night diving (possibly spearing // but def. snorkelling / freediving).

I looked at the Halycon site (http://www.halcyon.net/lights/index.shtml) and saw the 10 watt HID lighthead.

What is a not too expensive (sub £120 torch/umbilical light) set up to get ?

looking for :

-- reliability
-- good burn time
-- easy of use
-- easy to recharge (ie with batteries that dont die after 10 recharges)

-- easy to use with freediving set up - ie where do you clip it ?

Any advice would be good - Cheers Ed

Hey dont know how much use this will be but.. i have three torches i use regularly, two made by same company who's name has escaped me but one is a 6 cell (D) and one 6 cell (AA) both real bright with ok burn time, smaller cost about £20 with batterys both came from bens shop, portland oceaneering in castle town portland the other is a 4 cell (C) from beauchat had it years and quite good, all of these are hand held not umbilical types, i cant afford one! but have the two larger ones mounted on my weight harness like headlights when needed! works quite well... bloody spookey though!
Joe

Havnt got the foggiest......! But where i was diving was shall we say less than idealso was least of my worries! An in a country that still allows spearing on scuba (loophole.. but dont tell anyone.. i hate it!) shouldnt think they will mind.. or be arsed to come find me!
Joe

You could try the Princeton Tec Surge which takes 8AA batteries and has a nice beam. It costs £30 - £35.

You can either stock up on alkalines (Duracell and Eveready are always on sale in my local supermarket for £3 for 8) or invest in a set of good nimh rechargeables which will increase runtime over the alkalines.

The torch has a nice wriststrap which you can slide up your arm to get it out of your way. deepbluedive.com sells them at a reasonable price.

Also consider those Mini Q40's (distributed in the UK by Hydrotech) which take 4 AA batteries and can be clipped to your mask. One of those on either side of your head will obviously point in the direction your head is facing whilst a Surge can be used to pick out fish on the periphery of your vision.

Good luck but remember to try to keep your equipment to a minimum to avoid bits of kit tapping against each other and freaking the fish.

PS - night time fishing is a bit scary, tends to play on your imagination but it rocks.

Good Luck

Brian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT