• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Total Immersion

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
I want to say thanks to my friend Peter Scott for the review of the book Total Immersion. It's just what I need, some direction in swimming technique. I ordered the book online, and eagerly await the mailman!
Also, Peter has given me some advice on a new monofin, as I'm really feeling that that's the way I want to progress. I have been hitting PB's in the pool with my old Russian mono with the terrible foot pockets, and have been looking all over the net for one that I can afford, that willl be the proper stiffnes for dynamic, rec, and hopefully constant ballast.
So after all things considered (affordability, shipping charges from Italy or Finland, and Eric F.'s and Peter's love of Finis foot pockets), I've ordered a Finis Competitor with a medium stiff fin.
The blade on my old fin is a sprint blade, very stiff....too stiff for me. Good for 15 second-50 metre sprints, but not for relaxed finning. http://www.swiminfo.com/swimshop/shop_detail.asp?iPid=192&iCatId=23
There is the link to the place I ordered from. This fin is priced at 317$ US at other web retailers, so it's a good deal I think. It may take a few weeks to get here, and I will let you know how it goes!
Chers,
Erik Y.

15s is fast !

Hi Erik,

You can do 50m in 15s ??
Or do you just mean that's what the fins are designed for ?
I'm Curious, how much faster do you find you can do a 50m sprint with Mono vs normal Free diving fins ?

On another note - I can do about a 90m dynamic and find it's easier when I dolphin kick(Bi Fins), do you find you can get further in a dynamic with Mono vs Bi Fins ?

I contacted a Fin-swimming club, and they said they might let me try out a Monofin (If they got one my size), I'm interested in the difference. I'm not hugely keen to try one out in the ocean, think it would take a lot more skill to do a constant.....

P.S. I thought the Britt's were doing a lot better Static's then that, also Comp results are usually a lot lower then PB's
Probably find that some have PB's in the 6 - 7 minute range.

Wal
NSW, Australia

Walrus,

The world record for 50m apnea with a mono is around 12 seconds, I think. Maybe it's 14. Anyway, it's damned fast!

Look for my article on learning how to monofin in the next week or so, right here on Deeper Blue.

You should check out the finswimming crowd--should be a neat experience to watch them zip back and forth like dolphins.

Pete

Hey Wal, I've never tried a sprint and timed it. I doubt that I could do a 15 sec 50 metre, but that's what the stiffness of my old mono is built for.
I have been finding that I consistently can do better in dynamic than with bi-fins. That, combined with the fact that I like the "feel" when monofinning, plus the deepest divers in the world are using them, suggests that it's the way to go.
Note that I rarely get to train with anyone, and can't push it too hard in the pool. I don't seem to be too adept at dynamic, or I need some more practice, but my PB is now 85 metres with my old stiff mono, that I have cut a triangle shape out of the bottom. This helps it flex a bit, and I can go in a straight line with it at a freediver's pace, as opposed to before I altered it.
I watched Stephane's bi-fin dynamic on www.freediver.co.uk , and it is impressive, but when I put the bi-fins back on, it now feels like I am floundering a bit, and miss the power of the mono....plus I'm really starting to FEEL the monofin and the stroke.
Peter holds the Canadian record in dynamic: I have watched him in action....truly graceful and powerful to watch....like art really. The article will be good, I'm sure :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT