• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tourist in South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FinnishAsFunk

Jul 12, 2016
Hey peeps!

I'm planning a month long road trip in South Africa starting from Cape town on 4.8. and ending in Durban in 29.8. I'd like to go spearing as much as I can on the way but I have pretty much no idea about South African waters. I wonder if there's someone who would like to go show me some ropes in Cape town in early august or along the way?

Also, can you guys recommend any good spearoshops in Cape town? I need to resupply on some gear before getting in the water :)

Hi there.
best get in touch with those who are very active in the spearo world and will be able to put you in touch with the right sort of characters for different areas along the coast.
Get in touch with Gletwyn, who is in Port Elizabeth on the south coast http://southafricaspearfishing.blogspot.com/ is his old blog, where you will find his contact details. He has moved into freediving now but still shoot fish better than most.

Alternatively try posting on http://spearfishingsa.co.za/ and see if you get more luck on that site.

Watch out for the thieving sharks.

Enjoy.

Hiya,

On the game fish front (Yellowtail and Tuna), at moment it seems as if most of the spots around the Western Cape is in a sort of limbo, producing only sporadically. If you can organise a spot on a boat places such as Robben Island and Dassen Island on the right day will have a some Yellowtail and although not really the right time of year I got some reports a week or so ago that a few Longfin and a couple of Bluefin Tuna where caught in the deep off Cape Point. Reef fish can be had year round and I'd recommend Cape Point as the first place to start looking.

Further up the south eastern side well known spearfishing spots such as Struisbaai, Arniston, Infanta and Stillbay right through to George will also be pretty quiet for game fish but all have pretty decent reef fish spearfishing on offer. However, be very careful here as Great Whites tend to move closer to shore during this time of year and there is a shark advisory for this area. Also, a spearo got badly mauled by a GW at Arniston about two weeks ago, so if do decide to jump in make sure you get some local advice as to which areas are diveable.

Up the East / Wild coast is the best place to currently dive. We had an absolutely epic trip to the Transkei two weeks ago so if you can make your way to areas such as Coffee Bay or Hole In The Wall you could be in for some phenomenal spearing.

I'm not really sure what's currently happening further north towards Durban but this link: http://www.spearfishingsa.co.za/sites/index.htm discusses some of these areas in more detail.

The best place to buy gear in and around Cape Town is Rabitech (http://www.rabitech.com) in Kuilsriver. They should be able to supply with everything you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: WynisFish
Thanks guys! Good stuff there :)

I'll be diving from the shore mostly, but I would jump at a chance to go spearing from a boat as well. Is here anyone diving in Cape town area or anywhere along the garden route who would like to take a tourist on board on his spearing adventures :)

Due to time constraints I'm unfortunately not diving as much as I'd like but you're more than welcome to join me and my crew if we jump in. I'll send you a PM if we plan on going out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT