• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Toy Snorkeling Masks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lonestar

Jul 1, 2003
When I have a lot of relatives and friends over and I buy them all snorkeling masks and rent boogie-boarding fins at a surf shop and take them freediving in the Malibu kelp forests. I use the same anti-fog chemical on the toy masks that I use for my snorkeling mask however they seem to fog up anyway. Anyone know of a way to keep toy snorkeling masks from fogging up?

First, make sure the masks have been scrubbed with toothpaste then with dish soap. The lower quality stuff usually has a lot of residue from the manufacturing process on the glass. The other thing that a lot of people dont realise (new scuba trainees for example) is that not having good airway control will cause moist air from the lungs to move in and out of the mask through the nose and thereby fog the mask. In that case, there's not much that can be done other than explaining how to breath properly through a snorkel. And spit works as well as anti-fog too.
Your friends and relatives are lucky to have such a generous guy around :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

For safeties sake I hope these masks have tempered glass lenses, but be that as it may. What I do with any new mask is scrub the lenses on both sides with white toothpaste on a finger tip, then wash the whole mask with dish soap. You only need to do it once and this will remove any of the residue that Erik spoke of. Before each use I use spit for anti-fog, the wife likes the drops and #1 (11 yr. old son) does either. No matter which anti-fog you like the lenses must be clean and dry before application. Let me stress clean here, especially no sunscreen on the lenses or the anti-fog won't work. After anti-fog treatment the lenses must stay wet, mask on or full of water. Once they start to dry the only thing that will work is to dry the whole thing and start over with the anti-fog.:)

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT