• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tragedy - Randy Fry

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PaulV

Jul 9, 2003
Tribe:
We have all lost an important member of our world. Randy Fry was killed by a GWS off Northern California yesterday (Sunday).

For the last five years he was the key political spokesman for our sport and was instrumental in maintaining open seasons for spearfishers in California, a state not too friendly towards recreational fishermen. We suffered against the commercial fishermen that had stronger lobbyists, and Randy singlehandedly upheld our end of the discussions.

He was ab diving in shallow water north of Fort Bragg with two others who witnessed the swift attack. No news yet if the body was recovered.

In his tireless style, he was the weighmaster the day before, at the 4th Cencal meet of the year, held at Albion. My last words to him were jokingly chiding him for how he was measuring one of my fish. I'm now in disbelief that I will not speak to him again.

I will miss you Randy. Thanks for all you have done for us.

Paul Verveniotis
San Carlos, CA

Reactions: Cingene
Awful news, seems like we are losing too many champions of our sport. All you NoCal divers be careful out there (Sveno et al).

thats too bad...

My conceledence to his family and friends.

Its very hard to accept loosing a life in such way...:waterwork

That is so sad. I was just out there going for abs earlier this month. Makes me want to think it out sometimes. Maybe I or a love one would be lost. That would be terrible. Prayers out to a comrade.

My prayers are with his family and friends. This is so terrible. This man seemed to do everything right, but yet he was still taken.
don

Reactions: Cingene
That is just awful. And frightening as well.

How much more common are GWS in NorCal than SoCal? My favorite dive spot in La Jolla is right near a local seal colony, something I think long and hard about every time I swim in trailing fish blood.

There are more Whites up here than in So Cal, but there as here and this was pointed out by Randy, if you choose to dive near a seal rookery, well, your chances of meeting up with the landlord are higher, regardless of North or South.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT