• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trained freediver but still need help???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Waves

Jun 6, 2017
Hi, thanks for your time! So let me get straight to the point...

I am certified by PADI in both Freediving and Scuba Diving, I never had this problem with scuba fins, but once I bought me a nice pair of freedive fins, I found that the inner sides of my fins hit each other, not the actual fin, but the fin bases hit each other, it can be quite annoying at some times and I don't believe I'm pigeon-toed with fins, I have hammerhead kaudal freedive/spearfish fins so I don't believe the fins are just wide... is this wrong finning technique with my legs too tense and locked up together too much or is this a problem that anyone else has had this happen OCCASIONALLY, not all the time. Just every once in a while and if no solution all good. help?

Likely your finning technique. I think this happens to us all once in a while, but it also depends of the enviroment you dive in. In controlled pool dives it should not happen at all, whilst when diving in rough waters or spearfishing it happens now and then.

If you are really annoyed about it you can always go to the pool and film your strokes, or ask someone experienced to overview you so you can get some deeper insight about what can be improved.

Another plug for a video camera. More times than I can count, the gopro has made a liar out of me, exposing bad technique I never knew I had. Its extremely useful as a training tool.

Reactions: Tim B.
Another plug for a video camera. More times than I can count, the gopro has made a liar out of me, exposing bad technique I never knew I had. Its extremely useful as a training tool.
ok cool, ill definitely try it out and bring my camera out. Thanks!

pull up your big toe.

i did the same, for me it was the forward-going-fin that was out of alignement.

keeping concentrated into lifting your big toe in the poket fixed me.

watch out, it can cause cramps at the beginning.

pull up your big toe.

ok thanks ill try that! man I'm excited now Ive got some good ideas to try out. thanks for the advice and response!

pull up your big toe.

ill let you know how it goes after I go to the pool

Pool time is important in my opinion. Good luck with your issue. Coaching sessions with a coaching instructor is a great option.

oh sorry for the delay I totally forgot!
so, any updates? how did it went?
I feel like focusing on my big toe like you said actually helped! I've been focusing on my finning more lately in pool sessions, and focusing on making full, paced but not rush kicks. I'm starting to get the idea that I was not performing full fin-kicks and so I had been making shorter faster kicks causing my focus to drift away from actual form efficiency, believe my fin kicks were too rushed, sacrificing efficiency (in different wording). thanks for all of your replies! glad to know I have such a great global freediving family

Reactions: bobone11 and SubSub
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT