• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training advices for the spring

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Daniel

Antioxidants are basically part of the body's defense mechanism against free radicals.

There have been a couple of threads on DB in the past dealing with antioxidants and free radicals. This thread had some good information:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=27979&highlight=antioxidant

Eric Fattah has also discussed antioxidants in relation to apnea (is there anything he hasn’t discussed?:) ) The thread wasn’t specifically about antioxidants so I tracked down the specific post and pasted it in below.

The original thread, which has heaps of excellent information on other issues is at http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=32010&highlight=antioxidant

"I strongly recommend taking lots of antioxidants during periods of hard training, especially if your training involves profound hypoxia (such as max effort apnea). A good load of antioxidants immediately afterwards, and some hours before, really does help. If you overtrain hard apnea, you may find your thinking processes slowing down the next day, although this may take weeks of overtraining to notice. Taking extra antioxidants can slow or prevent this from happening.

There are an IMMENSE number of antioxidants, for example:
Vit C
Vit E
zinc
selenium
CoQ10
n-acetyl-cysteine (precursor to body's own glutathione)
Alpha Lipoic Acid

Each color pigment in fruits/veggies:
Purple #2: Proanthocyanidin (grape skin / grape seed, others)
Purple #1: Anthocyanidin (blueberries, bilberries, purple cabbage etc.)
Blue: Phycocyanin (various)
Red: Lycopene (i.e. tomatoes, red peppers, etc..)
Green: Chlorophyll (dark green vegetables)
Yellow: ?? (yellow peppers etc.)

Plus, an immense number of other phytochemical antioxidants, such as:
quercetin (mainly in citrus & spinach)
dihydroquercetin (rare)
(also other bioflavonoids under the skin of citrus fruits)

So, a diet high in raw fruits & veggies, along with some antioxidant supplements, will do wonders for preventing damage from too much apnea. Making yourself a liter of fresh grapefruit juice, or spinach juice, or any fruit/veggie juice will contain TONS of antioxidants, but you must drink it immediately after you make it. Store bought fruit/veggie juices have very little antioxidant power left in them.

Eating lots of cooked, processed or junk food also produces oxidative stress, so you might want to minimize these during hard training, or all your antioxidants will just be used up in neutralizing damage from your diet (and/or environment, pollution, etc.)

Only a few years ago I couldn't do hard apnea without noticing side effects of slowed thinking. Now, with a full antioxidant load and a modified diet, I can have several sambas per day without noticeable side effects, although that still doesn't mean that no damage is occurring, and I don't recommend sambas.
Eric Fattah"

I’ll agree 100% with Eric about store bought juices and I’ll go a step further and say that unless you’re eating a diet of organic fruits and veggies, you need to be supplementing, especially if you train hard or dive often. Add in the stress factors in most of our lifestyles and supplements aren’t an option, they are a necessity in my opinion. My wife and I take some of the best supplements available and I can safely say I do notice a difference, they aren’t cheap but at the end of the day, without my health, I haven’t got anything.

Ash

this forum and its participants should get the nobelprize in information providing !!

questions answered within a day with clear scientific answer, once more i'm impressed and thankful.

Interesting: I realized early the effect of grapefruit-juice: it used to wake me up, made me think faster ( i often used it before school exams) and often even helped me during hard migraine attacks. I never knew why the effects, but since i felt them i drank it.

As a vegeterian I cook most of the time myself, and as the eye eats as well I tend to cook "colorful" which seem to be a good method to get the whole collection of anti-oxidants.

It just crosses my mind (the grape juice works ;-) on the subject of apnea walking/dry land training. There s a good method to train dynamic no fins on dry land: lay on a bench with a fixed elastic band in front of you. pull both arms the way you swim.

see you soon,

daniel wieser

My two cents-
I practice karate 2- 3x a week and this summer started supplementing with heavy 6-8 rep weight workouts once or twice a week. Nothing too long, maybe 45 minutes to an hour total. Benches, pull-ups, press, squats, etc. Within two weeks of the weight work I started to feel really good underwater. Breath holding was easier but I also felt "stronger" and more confident increasing depth. I definitely recommend weight training of some sort because it is so anearobic. I would have to say that the lifting has made being underwater more enjoyable.
Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT