• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training for depth and bottom time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JerechoSison

Apr 20, 2018
Hi All! Just getting started at skin diving. I was wondering if pool training, 25 m laps using bi fins would actually get me better in depth and bottom time? should I couple this with CO2 tables as well? Thanks!

Yes of course 25m dynamic laps will help. Beginners should first work on their technique. More efficient technique will help you go deeper using less energy. As a rule of thumb technique should always be the first thing a beginner works on before bottom times.

As for your bottom times it's complicated. Yes Co2 tolerance will help bottom times but generally in the beginning co2 tolerance isn't your limiting factor. Relaxation is almost always the first limiting factor. Also Co2 tables are a sure way to get a beginner to hate apnea. I'd reccomend no contraction breath holds. Google for Renee Blundon's blog post of a no contraction breath hold table. This will help you with the first relaxation phase of a breath hold. Once you improve your relaxation phase I'd then start to consider co2 tables.

The other issue with co2 tables is they are done on full lungs and when you're training depth your dealing with different lung volumes. I think Frc and empty lung breath holds are more effective for depth training. I'd also start with lung stretching exercises. This can help reduce pressure induced contractions and can increase your lung volume.

One factor you didn't mention which I think prevents beginners from going deeper is equalization. After you can relax then you'll usually start progressing fast but will be stopped by equalization. I'd practice lots of dry equalization. Make sure there's no tension in your belly and chest when doing frenzel. Use an otovent to help mimic the pressure on your glotis while equalizing. Practice dropping the tongue down in back with your mouth open in front of a mirror. You should feel your Adam's Apple move up and down. You should consult a professional for what exercises will most help you.

In the beginning I wouldn't really worry about a well planned training regime. Just fall in love with sport. Dive as much as you can have fun. For me nothing ruins something more than having to adhere to a strict plan I don't really want to do. When you hit a point where improvement is getting hard then it might be time to change your strategy. Just work on technique and have fun. The results will come don't focus on depth or bottom times. You'll here this all the time and I didn't believe it for a long time but I can assure you this is true, forget about the numbers.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation! that was an eye opener for me! hehe didn't know that relaxation training comes first before doing those tables ! :)

On equalization, that was my first hurdle, i used to have nose bleeds and slight pain during dives (up to less than 10m). I've finally "break-in" my tubes so equalization is no longer a problem for me. I was able to do 13 meters recently without experiencing any pain and nose bleeds for that matter. On the technique, I use valsalva on the beginning but when i start to go down, i do frenzel by squeezing my cheeks but sometimes when it does not crack my ears I'd to valsalva. I guess I need to do a lot of frenzel practice :)

Thanks again for the tip!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT