• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training for my Freediving course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepThought

Freediving Sloth
Sep 8, 2002
I've started taking a basic 4 day freediving course with Erez Beatus (former unassited WR holder).
In GENERAL, the two first days we're learning theory, and practice in the pool (statics), in the last two days we'll go to Eilat (Red Sea) to train rescue and depth.

For the second part of the course (depth), I have about 2 weeks to train - I wanna be at a good shape for my first REAL depth dives, and I would like some sugestions on methods of training and techniques that I should try and learn.
Most of my training should be dry, since the sea is too cold for me now, and I don't really like the chlorine in the pool (takes me a few hours to shake the bad feeling).

I was thinking about starting somekind of a sprint-run training that will hopfully improve:

Cardio output
Fast twitching muscle training/building
Better energy reserves in legs
Higher lactic acid/CO2 tolerance
High BP/blood volume - good for deep dives, no?

And hoping to master frentzel, and packing.

I don't know if I should keep training statics (I did 3 times 5:00 this week) in the midtime.

I thought also about apnea stairwalking, but I think it will train my Slow muscle fibers, so I'm not sure yet.

Any workout suggestions? or techniques I should train? Diet?

Hard question

Hola Michael
This is a very difficult question, because there are many way of training, what works for others maybe doesn't work for you.
The slow-twitching fibers training is a theory but I think we have to use some slow twitch in long CW dives. The fast-twitching fibers can't contract for long time, that fibers works well in speed trials (100m) where the time is around 9-11 secs., but in a CW dive of 3 and a half minutes, I think we have to use our aerobic metablism. But that is all theory.
I'm living too far away from the ocean so I have to train without depth for CW. What I've found more useful is empty lung dives with reverse packing.
With that method I was able to master the Frenzel-Fattah technique and my rib cage flexibility increased a lot, and when I went to the sea there was no problems with the depth.
That's mean you will need a pool. You can try some of this exercises in a dry fashion but (for me) doesn't works as good as water.
The others aspects of the training like CO2 tolerance, O2 conservation, diet, aerobic and anaerobic training are very extensive to cover it in a post.
But you are going to a freediving course so ask your isntructor all your doubts, that is the best advice

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, what you've said makes sense.
After opening this thread I went on to the second day of the course, and I did get some "homework" to do till next time.
most of it consists with breathing, pranayama, and some static tables. I asked also for a physical training since I fear that I'm out of shape, and I was told to do 'fartlek' or 'fartleg' or some other obcene dutch word. :D
The train is to run fast the first 10 seconds of every minute, and run normal the rest of the 50 seconds. 10-20 minutes, once twice a week, depends how I feel.

Sounds pretty reasonable, since I train both muscle groups, and do aerobic and unaerobic at the same time.

Did it for 5 minutes and had to crash on a park bench for the next 15 minutes.:waterwork
Then did another 4 on my way home. Hopfully I'll do better next time... it almost killed me. :)
Apearntly I can hold my breath longer than I can run. rofl

JimGlynn:
How deep are you planning to go?
Well, Hopefully, just as deep as it gets till my first (ever) blood shift. I've been told that the blood vessels in the lungs need to adapt gradually to blood shifts, otherwise some damage can occur, and I really don't wanna cough blood.
Also the heart needs to adapt since I understood that all the blood from the lungs is "ejected" to the heart when you come up.

So as long as I master Frentzel-Fattah, and will be in a good enough shape to get me that deep, well, that's my hope.

think "humble", DT. :hmm

don't go into the clinic w/ intent to "impress". the clinic is to help you find a way to better your diving (not necessarily right then and there).

also, remember lactic acid is NOT your friend. trying to increase the metabolic efficiency of white muscle fibers is the proper way of thinking about it, but still not exactly what you should want to accomplish. you want to be able to withstand fatigue, not promote it. the white "fast-twitch" fibers run primarily on ATP and will produce a significant amount of lactic acid when depleted of it's energy source.

also, i think we're yet to see an accurate representation of a freediver's aerobic v. anaerobic curve throughout a dive. i think we can only speculate. nevertheless, i think it's safe to assume that you'd want to build your fitness more towards that of a marathon runner, as opposed to a sprinter or power lifter. :confused:

good luck,
anderson

andrsn:
think "humble", DT.
:) 10x, I might sound too eager, but that's what I'm aiming for, not to impress anyone, just as "I can wish no more than that".
Just a wish, like some wish to get to 30meters to say they can dive as deep as with scuba.
Nothing wrong with putting a "wishfull target", even if I'll get to only to 15 meters at start (for some obsucre problem), I'll still be happy, since it's still freediving and that can't be bad.
And ofcouse my deepening will be graduated with a large amount of dives.

By the way, I've been reading on DeeperBlue for about 6 months, and I learned very much from the people here (you rule!:king), but still, I recomend to everyone who can't call himself an expert, who can take a freediving course, to take one. For me, and I've only been through the "easier" half, it was worth every Shekel it cost (approx 350 US$).

now for some science...

Say, does fast/white muscle fibers can't 'no matter what' do any aerobic metabolism?

And my hopefull gain is for the heart, and I think that Eric Fattah mentioned somewhere that sprinting do better to your heart than long runs, but I'm not sure about it.
Anyway, how much muscle tissue can I gain from 2-6 runs in the next 2-3 weeks. Can't think of any possible damage, maybe I should make the second run a normal speed run...

Thanks for sharing Anderson.:)

Originally posted by DeepThought
I recomend to everyone who can't call himself an expert, who can take a freediving course, to take one.

and, to those who have or are taking freediving courses... the course does NOT make you an expert, only more educated than you once were. it does not give you an "escape death for free" card. :blackeye

i'm humbled everyday by people here, and not necessarily the top acheivers or most experienced, either. :t

remember, 1 second too many is too much. :hmm

motherly concerned,
anderson

Re: now for some science...

Say, does fast/white muscle fibers can't 'no matter what' do any aerobic metabolism?

fast-twitch or "white" muscle fibers are white for a reason. ;) they are avascular, so they don't have the luxury of getting O2 supplied to them via capillaries. :t

anderson

Type I and II

Hola Michael,
Yes some fast-twitch fibers works aerobically.
We have different kinds of fast-twitch fibers (tipe II)
Type IIa fibers are similar to tipe I fibers but with less content of mithochondrias and oxidative enzimes and have more vascularity than IIb. We can say that IIa fibers are the midway between I and IIb fibers.
Some physiologist have talked about IIab fibers, which can become a or b with respect to the training.
Type IIc fibers are intermediate between I and IIa
Many think that there are more forms of transition fibers

Anderson:and, to those who have or are taking freediving courses... the course does NOT make you an expert, only more educated than you once were. it does not give you an "escape death for free" card.

Come'on man, you're going down too hard on me, never claimed to be a 'homodelphinus', or a Sebastian Murat (if there's a difference :) ). No harm in reminding me to be cautious, but try not to put words in my mouth.:naughty

fpernett:
Many think that there are more forms of transition fibers

And the plot thickens....

Hi Frank,
hmm, so mithochondrias are needed for aerobic activity but not for unaerobic?
How does the muscle breaks down the lactic acid afterwards? just ejects it to the blood stream?

Btw Frank, you've been added to the list of people I can't give karma without spreading it around again...

Come'on man, you're going down too hard on me, never claimed to be a 'homodelphinus', or a Sebastian Murat (if there's a difference :) ). No harm in reminding me to be cautious, but try not to put words in my mouth.:naughty

by no means was i referring to you, DT. not at all. i'm not that calous. ;) i'm just trying to get accross the whole "reasons" for taking courses. :t you're just helping us get to that point. :eek:

respectfully,
anderson

Come'on man, you're going down too hard on me,

uh, alrighty then...:D

Butt seriously Deep, I'm a fan of negative packs in a pool for lack of anything else, with a major caveat that I've missed reading in your plans to usurp us all from our respective freedive thrones- PRACTICE UNDER SUPERVISION!!!
You laying at the bottom of the pool dead, looks quite like you doing a negative static. Really fouls up the drain and filters, too. Good for you for getting educated.

sven

Michael- Negatives in the pool are a great way to simulate the feeling at depth. Once on the bottom, work on the Frenzl technique so it becomes second nature. Another good practice is to Fenzl dry during the day. Empty your lungs as much as possible and really work on the piston action and then gently hold the tubes open for a few seconds. Repeat a few times. Exercising the E tubes is just as important as exercising the rest of the body. Just do not force anything with too much air. My goal is to master hands free equalization, not an easy process. Good luck.
Jim

hey mike!

Good luck on your trip. Does this school have a website? If you cant frenzel/fattah then do what divers do in the gulf. Clear on the surface as much as possible, as many times as possible before you dive. I got so good at equalizing, I shot down to 186fsw in 30 seconds. Lots of lead, and very streamlined! "Slack the Diver topside!" "Slack!" "Slack!" "Slack!" "All Stop Topside, on bottom, shoot the pneumo."

I read some things about Tanya Streeters Clinic, and i've even spoken with Paul Streeter on several occasions. Has anyone here done the course?

Tim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT