• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training program questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jethr0

Feb 1, 2015
I am looking for direction on how best to structure a training program. I've been spearfishing on/off for a few years, this winter i have been trying to do a bit of training to have a better season next summer. My goal being more bottom time and deeper dives. I have done an AIDA 2 course last summer, and honestly didn't learn anything i hadn't already from reading on the internet, though i still feel it wasn't a waste of time, as it's a stepping stone to AIDA 3.

So far my training has been;

Gym every 3rd day, wearing a heart rate monitor doing full body workouts where i get my heart rate as high as i can (160s) then rest until it drops to (130s) then start again for roughly an hour.

On the couch in the morning using a phone app called apnea trainer to do one breath holds on days that i am not at the gym, i am currently around 10sec inhale / 60sec hold / 10sec exhale for 12-16 cycles. Towards the end i start to feel the smallest signs of hypoxia, though currently i don't do any o2 tables, should i start to incorporate some o2 specific training? what is the best way to go about it? or should i continue to focus on the one breath holds until i can get to a specific bench mark?

I've had a few mornings where i have a couple of warm up breath holds and then try for a max, my static pb is now 5:43.

About once a week i get an afternoon free where i do some apnea walks, and have experimented with a fixed start point and going for repeated maxes with 3 mins rest between each attempt, and 1 min hold then standing and walking as far as i can. I'm on a grassed oval. Strangely, i get roughly the same amount of walking time 1min 40secs regardless of if i just stand or if i have a 1 min hold before hand. Hypoxia seems to be the limiting factor, what should i be training to increase this?

I've just ordered a new wet suit and in the next few weeks will have access to a pool and training buddy to do wet statics/dynamics.

I would like a bit more structured program but i live in a small town, no coach, and the internet is oddly void of how top level freedivers structure their training.

Reactions: Markalongo
I could not find how to edit my original post, but i thought i should add I am looking for advice on what i should change / add to my current training regime to head me in the right direction for my goals given my current abilities. Thanks in advance for any help.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT