• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training with gear or without

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Merman

Feb 17, 2003
Newish to the sport...plenty of spearfishing but not deeper than 15mts and with bottoms times of around 45sec-1min...but I am keen to start some sort of training....I've already read all the training advice so I think that will do for now...but...I have one question...do you guys train with wetsuit, mask and snorkel or just goggles?

Ta

gus

Hi Merman,

To do Statics in a pool you will need a buddy and a warm wetsuit. You get cold real quick because you aren't moving, and the dive reflex brings the heart rate down. You can do dynamics without a wetsuit but depends on how long you rest in between, will probably still get cold after a while.

Can use goggles at a pool instead of mask, can still dive down at least 4 or 5m with them without too much problem. A lot of comp divers use goggles and a nose clip for statics.

Hope that helps,
Wal

Thanks Wal, I was thinking more on doing dynamic stuff...but very light because I don't have a buddy yet...I will soon I think!...I asked the question thinking that by using all the equipment then when you get out in the ocean it all feels the same...but maybe I don't need it...do you use a weight belt in the pool??

Ta

Gus

Thanks Wal, I was thinking more on doing dynamic stuff...but very light because I don't have a buddy yet...I will soon I think!...I asked the question thinking that by using all the equipment then when you get out in the ocean it all feels the same...but maybe I don't need it...do you use a weight belt in the pool??

Ta

Gus

Reactions: loopy
Originally posted by Walrus
You get cold real quick

You forgot to add in Canberra because in Brisbane the water is nice and warm all year round:D

Merman don't train without a buddy please. This is mandatory (like spearfishing I guess).

Gerard.

Thanks Gerard, I won't train without a buddy, I am trying to convince a friend...hard though...not many people interested..

Hey I used to live in Alstonville...near Byron Bay...speared all around the headlands there...do you freedive? spear?

Do you train in a pool with your gear on or off? weight belt?

Cheers

Gus

I spear sometimes

but only to eat what I catch. I don't particularly enjoy killing animals.

My motto is freedive until you die. I train in pool most of the times though. Only goggles and togs. No fins.

Gerard.

both

Hi Merman,
I think that´s better for dynamic training use both styles (with and without fins).
Dynamic without fins gives you great confidence.
When I train dynamic with fins, use mask and fins, with short intervals, although my pool is really warm.
For sea training, obviously, is better to have your wetsuit and ballast.

Reactions: loopy
Hi Gus,

I usually do long dynamics with a wetsuit on, and lots of weight to make me close to neutral at 1m depth. I use about 15 pounds with a 5mm top, 3mm pants. Even without a wetsuit I need about 4 or 5 pounds when I use packing, this increases your lung volume and therefore your bouyancy.

Gerard, I don't think water temp in an indoor pool in Canberra makes much difference to Brisbane ;)

Actually what does make a slight difference is altitude, Canberra is at 700m (2300 ft), which isn't much but I think it makes a few % difference with lower partial pressure of O2. Probably not heaps but enough to lose 5 or 10 seconds off a static......

Cheers,
Wal

Thanks Wal for your advice...can you explain to me Packing? I don't really know what it is...

I think I will use my wetsuit 4-3mm (surfing wettie), just to make sure it feels the same as in the ocean, and I will do training with and without fins...

Weight it a goer...

Thanks Fpernett for your response as well...

And Gerard...I agree I only spear what I eat...but sometimes I spear and my friends and family eat!!...

I am hoping to go back to South Australia in march to freedive for some Lobster....yummm...place called Beachport...fantastic freediving, anyone been there before?

cheers

gus

Gus,

Packing forces extra air into your lungs. It is done by sucking air using your cheek muscles and then getting it into your lungs. The hard part is actually getting the air into your lungs, or keeping it from escaping. You have to somehow control your Glotis to do this. Try a search on packing in the forums. I think Eric Fattah may also mention it in his Mouthfill-frenzel document.

Took me weeks of trying before I even managed to get a few packs in. From there it took months to build up the amount of packing I could do. I haven't measured it but I'm guessing I get at least 1-2 litres of extra air in. Some people can pack a lot more ie 2-3 litres plus. The only way I could get it to work it to hold my nose which most people don't have to do. I guess they must keep their soft palate closed too.

It's most useful for depth diving, as it can give you more air to equalise etc. It's also useful for statics & dynamics but takes a bit of time to get comfortable with the pressure, ie the really full feeling.

Cheers,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT