• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

....travel-speargun....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For those who have never seen photos of the Nemrod “Gaucho III Weekend” model, so called for its easy transportability when disassembled in its blue carry case, here it is. This example was brand new (NOS) and the seller wanted a King’s Ransom for it.
Nemrod Gaucho three piece Weekend band speargun.jpg

Nemrod Gaucho Weekend three section band gun.jpg

Nemrod Gaucho three piece speargun muzzle.jpg

Nemrod Gaucho band gun rear.jpg

Nemrod Gaucho triple layout.jpg

Last edited:
I am one of those who have never seen this type of gun.
You would be in the majority as that model was not sold when the "Gaucho" guns were first released in three sizes as the "Gaucho I", "Gaucho II" and "Gaucho III" which were from small to medium to large. It was never sold here to my knowledge and appeared much later. The few that I have seen for sale look much like this one, i.e. relatively new or unused, and bar the novelty value I don't think it had a lot of appeal. I don’t know if it was a floater after the shot as the whole range never looked like floaters and as you can see it uses the handle straight off the Silver series pneumatic guns which themselves were sinkers.

Although not a travel version Nemrod made another gun with a silver anodized barrel with the rear handle set much farther back, which was basically another "Gaucho" in terms of its components, but not mid-handled as they were. This was the "Tiburon" or "Shark" and in some ways the Weekend model of the "Gaucho" was more like a "Tiburon" as the grip handle had to be fitted to the rear of the three gun sections. With shorter trigger pull rods this "Tiburon" gun may have been a floater, the mid-handle "Gaucho" guns only had the front half of the barrel sealed which was not enough buoyancy to float them after the shot.
NEMROD-Tiburon-III-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I am reading with interest the posts of subunit and the consequent replies.
I was wondering if it is feasible to buy a travel series riffe. I asked Qatar Airways how much would be the cost to take my speargun with dimentions 180*35*35 cm from an EU capital to Oman. They said 330 euro, one way. On this ground, it seems the detachable version of a 110 speargun can save its cost even (and appr.) with the 1st trip. Right? With price of 777 USD one saves 660 euros and has the pleasure to use his own gun...

I checked the product description here, and the connectiing of the shaft is desrcibed like this: "A semi-permanent threadlocker (included with a Euro Travel Speargun purchase) must be applied before joining the sections together. Make sure to tighten with a wrench to ensure a secure and strong connection."
I am wondering why Riffe did not put a pic of this threadlocker. Subunit, did you buy your shafts with such threadlock (I think - no) and if yes - how does it look like?
Do you know about other detachable speargun brands?
Thanks!

..if you have read this thread then you would know that i do used the threadlock-tape (there is even a foto where you can see pieces of the tape at the broken thread). it is not provided when you buy the shaft. you have to get it by yourself.
these travel shafts are not worth the money. maybe the shorter ones can work if you shoot only smaller fishes.
best option to save the money for airline would be, only to buy the travel-series-gun(the gun itself works fine) without the threaded shaft , and buy a regular shaft in the country you travel to. and leave the shaft with someone when you travel back.
if that is possible.

That is what I do with the Travel Magnum, I take a standard shaft for the gun if I can, or leave one or two at the destination. The two-piece shaft is not often used, for that matter neither is the gun if I am travelling with multiple guns, I always take a minimum of two.

I recently got a Riffe Euro Travel 90, and had the same problem with the shaft bending at the joint. I don't know exactly when it happened, because I didn't notice it until I got on shore, but it probably happened on a shot that missed into the rocks. I bent it back to near-perfect straightness, but I'm afraid it will break on a bigger fish now that it's been weakened by the bending.

Anyone know if the 7.1mm Riffe Euro shafts will work on the Euro Travel, which uses a 7.5mm shaft? I'd prefer to use a one-piece shaft when I'm not traveling.

Attachments

• 20191124_094712.jpg
    20191124_094712.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
You could try annealing the shaft to get rid of the stresses by heating it up to cherry red and then quenching it. Stainless steel is a poor heat conductor, so while it may be glowing red at one end the other will still be cool to the touch. The trick is to cool it at the right rate to temper it, so maybe you could find out what that is. Any Riffe spear from their eurogun range should fit your gun as long as it is the correct length, give or take a few inches.

Reactions: MauiBen
I also have the JBL, very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hey , just to throw my input in about riffe and particularly Jill who Ive dealt with , Ive found there customer service to be excellent , quick responses and good solutions to my problems. I’m in the uk so don’t need a 120 but for the euro travel 90 & 55 breakdowns I’ve had nothing but good experiences. No shaft problems as yet and I’ve hit a few rocks etc
I guess with the longer length & bigger fish problems may occur , but for smaller European spearing there fantastic.

Well this appeared on another thread, but I will add it here, a variation on the MVD spearguns that comes as a take down travel model. Sold under the name TAG.
TAG TWO PIECE BARREL disassembled.jpg

TAG TWO PIECE BARREL.jpg

One way that a spear could be joined would be to have a central ferrule that both the spear ends screw into. This creates a larger diameter bump in the middle of the spear and would not be ideal, but is easy to make. Now sitting the shaft on the gun''s guide track would be a problem unless you had another section the same size at the rear of the shaft. On the JBL Travel Magnum the rear half of the shaft is 3/8 inch diameter and the front half is 5/16 inch diameter. So basically we have the same idea, but cut some of the weight out of the rear shaft section. This variable diameter shaft would be no good with a line slide, but should be OK with a shaft tab line attachment. The spring stainless shaft sections all carry male threads. The rear bump does not need a screw thread, it could just be a pinned sleeve, in fact the shaft tab should secure it.
two piece travel spear.jpg

Last edited:
Barrel alignment on these guns is debatable and forces on the joint can be a limiting factor. I opted with a twin barrel design for stability and a roller for recoil and better "torque" on the connection on my carbon roller design. Hybrid guns simply look more natural as a two piece spear. Fyi a slip tip shaft in my opinion is a must.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.43.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.43.49 PM.png
    858.8 KB · Views: 72
The Joker from C4 was a good effort, but those guns are/were very expensive and the finish can get beaten up, after all they are reinforced resin guns. Their rather unique trigger is very good, but the trigger does not eject the unpowered shaft, you have to yank it out by hand The compact trigger mechanism uses a lot of grease, bad if your cocked to shoot gun hits a sandy bottom and the passing surge in shallow water has a chance to comb sand into it.

JBL two piece spears, the rear end being 316 stainless at 3/8" and the front 5/16" spring stainless steel.
JBL two piece shafts R.jpg

Unlike the old Travel Magnum, last version shown below, which has a 1.25 inch diameter barrel this new one based on the Reaper handle has a 1.125 inch diameter barrel Considering the much lighter plastic handle it should be a floater after the shot The old Travel Magnum floated, but butt down and the muzzle barely breaking the surface. I don't know anything about the Reaper handle having never laid my hands on one.
jbl travel magnum blue.jpg

Actually this gun is the Lightning smaller barrel model which I doubt was a floater after the shot, if that grip handle is still cast alloy.
jbl travel magnum blue lightning handle.jpg

Reduced diameter handle bosses indicates the smaller barrel tube.
JBL model specs shown here in a pdf file..

Attachments

• JBL Specs Sheet 2023.pdf
    243 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I had forgotten about the JBL Reaper, but looks like it was reviewed in the past here,
Not a fan of plastic triggers, but they are resorted to when keeping guns floaters, especially non-cocking stock guns. Some years back Undersee went into eurogun territory and when the aspect of metal parts was raised produced a version with a full metal trigger This gun, which from memory may have been "the Don", was reputedly not a great floater, unless it had a longer barrel tube. By the time I decided to buy one to check it out the gun was discontinued for a new version which discarded that all metal trigger. Reaper mech below seems to be a Rob Allen clone, but which one as the latter has changed over time?
JBL Reaper cassette.jpg

Rob Allen Vecta mechanism latest.jpg

JBL Travel gun profile.jpg

The JBL "Reaper" has a very distinctive trigger finger guard, possibly just to provide a distinguishing feature. When Scubapro ordered their Sten competitor as a bigger and better pneumatic they squared up the "Magnum" gun's trigger finger guard which looked a bit odd until everyone got used to it.
Magnum Vintair Plus Mares Sten.jpg

Last edited:
An advert for the Lightning Travel Magnum had the following specs sheet, but the barrel diameter is wrong and seems to be that for the full size silver barrel gun.
JBL LIGHTNING TRAVEL SPECS.jpg

Just measured an old cast alloy Explorer handle and the front boss is 0.90 inch diameter compared with the Voit-Swimaster-JBL Magnum handle front boss which is 1.16 inch diameter. The rear boss for the cocking stock tube is exactly the same as the front boss on both handles. With barrel tube wall thickness added that works out at 1 inch diameter for the Explorer and Lightning and 1.25 inch diameter for the Magnum guns. The slimmer barrel guns are intended to improve the wand waving capability of the gun, but I don't wave my guns around underwater, I swim them around.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT