• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

travelling gun?!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

R-Dub

May 13, 2004
I'm travelling from South Africa to Indonesia and I would like to know what the deal is with getting my spear gun in there. I could put it in with my surfboard, but don't want to spend 3 weeks in a prison cell with charges of terrorism!

Do I need pre-approval? Do I need any approval, or can I just take it in?

I have been before and just used the guns from some locals I met (very standard issue) and we shot some awesome fish.

This time I want my equipment that I am familiar with.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hey Ryan

Without saying you will not be able to take the gun with you in the plane. You just check it in as normal luggage and let them know its a speargun. Some airlines like British Airways ask that the spear and the gun are kept apart inside the luggage. Check out the rules of the airline you are using. If you are worried about your speargun being "busted up" in the boot with the other luggage, you can request it be treated as a "fragile" item to reduce risk of getting bent/broken.

When you land in Indonesia go to the coast guard or port authority and see if you need a fishing/spearing liscence. Usually they let it slide for tourists but probably theyll give you a provisional short term license for reduced cost.

Have a nice one in Indonesia

:D

Thanks, I was just going to take my older one, So I wouldn't be too bummed if it got confiscated.
They'll probably lose it anyway!!!

Speargun Travel

I just got back from a trip to Hawaii. I put my speargun in a rifle case. The TSA people considered it a firearm and inspected the case at every check in. Delta and Hawaiian airlines John S

While I have no idea about spearfishing rules for Indonesia, my mom is originally from there and I went there once with her a long time ago. As you probably know it is a fairly corrupt and disorganized country.

I don't know if you are going to a more touristy area or what, but just be careful. Check with the embassy or something about laws, but even if it is legal, there is a good chance customs might give you a hassle. It's really a free-for-all with those guys, and often they will try to make you pay extra or something. Be careful, but slipping the guy some money is often all they really want.

Of course, this is only if the gun is legal in the first place.

Howzit Ryan,

I have just come back from a trip (on SAA) to SA, took my gun with in a Sprorosub speargun bag...no problem at all , I just checked it in at the counter and said it was fishing gear, they then took it seperately as "oversized baggage" because it was too long for the conveyor and I got it back the otherside.

Cheers

Justin

Ryan,

Are you the same Ryan from the Wahoo club who went to the UK +/- in 1999? Used to catch sailies at Sodwana?

Not the same Ryan, I am clubless at the moment. Only been spearing for a year now, but I live on La Mercy beach and the Garrick are running thick.

Lucky bugger!!!

I used to live in Umdloti!!! so I know what you mean.

Hi Guys
I work as cabin crew for Gulf Air if you pack your gun well, strap it to your luggage label it as fishing equipment (dont mention the "gun" word) along with your destination address just in case the check in desk want to send it as seperate luggage, you should have no problem. Just dont expect to be able to take it into the cabin, that will never happen. If you have a pneumatic gun you must discharge it completely as the hold is not pressurised. And if your asked at the airport by security be honest about it but say first its underwater fishing equipment before you mention the "gun" word. That aside you should have no problems at all; spearguns are regularly carried by many airlines.
Spoke to a guy on another forum about this and he said he was going to take off the grip of his gun and put it in a drain pipe as packaging, good idea I thought, last thought on this beware of your overall luggage weight incase you get xs baggage charge.
Hope this answers any questions, if in doubt contact the airline anonomously (I never said that! quote me and I'll deny it ) they wont bite honest

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT