• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Travelling with long fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aldan

Jul 11, 2005
Hello guys, I've just bought my first freediving fins (gara 3000) and I'm really happy with it. Now I'm planning the vacation in Egypt, Red Sea is worth of seeing. :)
Unfortunately I have found out, that fins do not fit even into my biggest travel suitcase. I don't think airlines will allow me to take fins on board, right? How do you travel with long fins? Is it safe when you just use your freediving bag instead of suitcase? No problems? I'm little bit afraid of damage and lost. :(
What can you recommend?

Sorry, I haven't noticed it's scuba root... Can I delete it here or move it in freediving root?

I take my fins as carry-on in a green mesh duffle. That I found at a scuba shop, which stretches just barely long enough to fit my Cressi Gara 3000 HDs.

Generally the bag looks flat so people don't give you trouble flying with it becaues they look small, just be warned they go the back of the overhead bin, and people do put stuff in front or on top of them. Many holiday airlines in Europe have a discount rate (free or cheap) for taking diving gear on your flight. You have to check it, and reserve the luggage in advance and promise them you don't have any air cylinders or flashlights. I again put my long fins int the mesh duffel, inside a another diving backpack that has wetsuits, floats and stuff, but the fins stick out the op.

The Cressi's are pretty tough, I would be scared to treat a pair of carbon fins that way. I do pack them heel to tip (opposing directions so they support each other).

Never had a problem with my Cressis.

there are speciall bags for free or scuba-diving equipement:)
see here:
Xsport.ro - Magazin online cu echipamente pentru sporturi extreme, sport, Barci Pescuit, Pescuit subacvatic, Echipamente fotografice, aparate foto compacte si digitale subacvatice, obiective, accesorii, Caiac, Kayak, Caiace pescuit, windsurf, kitesur
in most of these bags u can put your gara3000 fins
i have one of this bags and i can tell u that he can hold all my diving equipement [including my 85 cm seacsub genessis fins]
this bag goes directly into the plane cargo
i was twice with the plane and nothing happened with my equipement
on 14-th of aprill i will take my bag and go to hurgada for 7 days again:)
of course i'm frustrated not having the possibility to take my monofins with me:p:p:p:p

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT