• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Travelling with my monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fabrice

Apr 3, 2002
Hello,

I'm going to freedive in the red sea this summer, and of course I'd like to use my monofin there.
But I'm worry about how it will be handled by the airports crew - I really don't want to get it back in little pieces :waterwork !
Is it possible to travel with my mono as a cabin luggage ?

Fabrice

We recently travel from Spain to Italy... six planes total trip and have no problem to carry in the airplane our monofins. If the security crew say no, tell them how fragile it is and question them if they are going to buy you a new one when it´ll broken. In most cases it helps!!! :D

Fabrice-

i knew i remembered another thread similar to this one and after a little searching found it. check it out. i haven't traveled with mine yet, but had some wood cutouts that will allow me to put them on either side of the mono blade. i figure with a towel or two inbetween and a little tape to hold it in place inside my monobag i should be in good shape. good luck!

-m

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=23555

Mono

Between SA and Cyprus via Dubai i took 4 flights there and back. No one gave me any lip about taking the mono on board. Neither did i invite discussion by asking if it would be fine. I simply strode onto the plane with the thing under my arm. I imagine if i had asked i would have had to wade through contra.

Once on the plane i found it would not fit in the overhead lockers. No way no angle. The hostesses were very accommodating and took it and stored in in a larger hold in the front of the cabin for me.
Later i learned that the plane has a gap between the seats and the bulkheads behind them, that devide the seating into first , business and cattle class and you can get 10 mono's in behind the seats there easy and perfectly safely.

I had primed myself to have a non - negotiable attitude if they refused my mono entry. Good thing they didnt test me or we would have left late...

skin

given that i see people bring skate boards and guitars and other large instruments on airplanes, i dont think bringing a mono onboard will be problem. Many people do this and i have yet to hear from someone who is denied bringing it.

Skins attitude is right, assume that it isnt a problem! just bring the mono onboard.

Erik

Hi people, I have travelled a fair bit with my monofin since I first posted the above-mentioned link. I have been able to take it on many different airlines as carry on, but lately I have checked it sometimes. I have never had a problem either way....except for trying to get it through the x-ray machine, then having to explain to the people running it what it is! Some x-ray machines (especially in 3rd world) are too small, so they just want to have a look.
I agree with Skindiver that the best place to put the fin is behind any row of seats that have a bulkhead behind them. Just don't forget your fin when you leave!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT