• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tri-cut .vs. Pencil tip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I've never used a tri-cut spear shaft and I'm curious about the differences between classical pencil tip shaft and a tri-cut one. :confused:

Well my first OMER gun has tricut spear on it. All i can say is if you bent the front forget about it. You will never able to straightened it perfectly. So it will spoil the accuracy. Now i am using pencil tip spears, actually they bent too but i think cressi shafts does not bent but break after few years. But in open water aspetos where you will not hit rocks, very sharp tircut point should give you more penetration power.

well I though exactly what you say, if you bend it throw it away!!!
I also use pencil tip shafts and all I do is to sharpen them from time to time with my dremel. I've not encounter any bending in its 2 year life although I hit some respectable stones :D

Yeah i never see any bent cressi shaft. I will but cressi shaft to my 75 cm T 20 if i bent standart OMER shaft. But i don't see any other shaft flying as fast and accurate as 6.3mm OMER spear.

cressi shafts flex a LOT!!! maybe thats why they dont bent easily??

Tri-cut tips also give much better penetraion. They cut throught the fish as opposed to 'wedging it open' like a pencil tip. The only problem is one shot into a rock and the tip is gone. Although they are easier to sharpen, just drag a file across each face until you restore the cutting edges.

AS far as bending goes I think it might be easier to bend a larger diameter shaft. this is b/c the 7's or 7.5's have more momentum b/c of the higher mass. The better 'penetrating' power at distance leads to better 'bending' power as well.

I'd like to know if people are seeing this. I only shoot a 7m euro shaft now and it's not pretty when it hits a rock. Are people finding lighter shafts to be more resiliant?

At the end spear shafts are metal and they are supposed to break or bend if necessary force is applied. I believe the trick is to care the shaft from direct stone shots. Other than that I would gladly sacrifice a spear shaft for a big fish :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT