• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trigger mech go bye-bye

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Hello, have just decided to overload my antiquated e-bay JBL 38 special w/ two 14" 5/8ths bands and I'm wondering when my trigger mech will imploded.

Just wondering what stories you guys have about trigger mechs ascending into nirvana (i.e. amount of use, strength/number of bands, make of guns, and part that finally gave).

Thanks

Last edited:
hi

I have no idea what the Jbl trigger will hold, but I once busted my Rob allen 110 trigger with a Very short 20mm band as well as a short 16mm band. If I remember correctly it held for a few shots then when I was swimming along it just went off :naughty

cheers

yeah well I sneezed and a RA trigger puked... :hmm

If the JBL is an old one, I mean old , the trigger sear is pretty beefy and will hold that stress fine. The new ones are supposed to be heat reated and all, but I've seen some with out the extra treatment so...

I use 2 shortened 5/8 bands on my JBL Customs and with an occasional rinse and some care, they've yet to throw the trigger. Pull the guts and check the wear on the sear- if the contact point looks rounded, toss it.

Originally posted by icarus pacific
yeah well I sneezed and a RA trigger puked... :hmm
:hmm Still trying to clear the sinus eh?

I've had a SeaHornet mech snap, and an Undersee mech snap when I loaded it with twin 20mm rubbers. Each time a lots of noise and pain was involved..:crutch

hi

I like how Svens guns get the OCCASIONAL wash :D

Shadow I have a small gun I made using an Undersea mech and have it loaded with 3 16mm bands, although the gun is small so the band stretch is not that big, probably the only thing holding it together :hmm

cheers

Ahhh very smooth, Def!

Old as in Swimmaster, they were called 4G32 models then. Pure tanks for internal hardware, instead of the cheap Asian crap they were made from before they decided to put a Band-aid on them, build them right and call them XHD.

Ran up stairs, pulled the gun apart (again), and proceeded to loose that damn little spring that pulls the sear down to facilitate loading (thanks for the pointers sven). Sear doesn't look pretty but no 'apparent' wear. I let you know when she melts down and I'll be keeping an eye out for some voit flotsam drifting through ebay in the mean time. You could do worse then $20 for spare parts.

Oh, for those of you that also can't stop playing w/ things (scratch that, guns... uh.. nevermind) to fabricate new springs just use old ss spinners for bass fishing.

I also gave the end that 'locks' around the trigger post an extra half-turn (instead of just one 90 degree bend) so it's the same height as the turn under the sear (w/ two overlapping pieces of wire beneth both). THEORETICALLY... this should align the two (trigger and sear) at the same height and help mitigate the chances of me shooting a bedroom window out when the mech 'slips'.

I know that probably dosen't make any sense but next time you (carefully) take you trigger mech. apart look at the heigt difference created by the spring being doubled under the sear.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT