• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trigger mechanism info

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Daryl Wong

Jan 4, 2003
Hi Guys,
I was browsing this site for the first time and saw a thread about trigger mechanisms. It was interesting to see how much or how little some members know about our product. Or how other types of mechanisms work. This thread is not meant to be a promotion or commercially oriented in anyway. It is not our style. It seems that another poster in Calif has our mechanism in a few of his guns and thinks our housing is "plactic" and it is a clone of an ALexander mechanism. I showed my partner the post and I registered just so I could give you his rebuttal and to clear up any misconceptions about our Aimrite mechanism. Basically here is what my partner Rick has to say:
I would like to dispell a few myths about our triggers. My name is Rick Bettua and along with Daryl Wong, we own Aimrite Hawaii. I will not talk about other mechanisms but would like to talk about the different mechods of how triggers function.
European models tend to "pinch" the shaft between the sear and the roof of the mechanism and what you get is a very smooth trigger release that is lighter than American types. But remember, just like putting your finger and thumb together, the shaft is held in place by pinching. There is nothing wrong with this providing the guns stay relatively small and not a lot of band pounds of force is loaded onto the trigger.
American triggers use a method of 90 degree corner (shaft) on a 90 corner (sear). What this provides is a much stronger mechanism,however it may not be as light or smooth as a european design.
Some of Daryl's guns have upwards to 500#'s of force behind them (tuna guns). Therefore each and every trigger is tested in a hydraulic testing machine and fired at 600#'s of force. This is done with every mechanism whether it is for a tuna gun or small Aimrite euro style gun. We then test 1% of every batch of trigger mechanisms and break them on purose to maintain quality control. All break between 1250-1600lbs. Even at this force they will not release the shaft!
For those of you that think that our trigger is a "plastic" takeoff of Steve Alexanders, then think again. Our trigger and sear uses a much different method and the only similarities to an ALexander is the outside dimensions.
We chose a space age polymer that is used in the aerospace industry to insure that we can maintain repeatable accuracy through injection molding vs casting or bending stainless sheet metal. To this date not one mechansim has failed or broken with over 1200 on the market. This is why we provide a no-hassel warranty on our product because we believe in it.
If anyone would like more information on triggers and how they function, feel free to ask. I hope this dispells any questions about our "plastic" mechanism.

Dive safe,
Rick Bettua/ Daryl Wong
Aimrite Hawaii
www.aimrite.homestead.com

Reactions: Aquiles
Point(s) taken Daryl and welcome to DB!!

I was using the rather broad generalizations of your triggers in just the way you explained- that the euro triggers are a different and weaker design though effective for the usage that they're most often used. And too, the generalization of "plastic" was just that- a generalization pointing out the differences in the housing materials.

I've used your products for several years and the triggers on the last two of my hybrid pipe guns, which to your credit and my admiration are very similar to your units, the differences being the amount of wood to float the additional hardware (reel) and an aluminum muzzle. In both cases the guns had in excess of 300 pounds of band stretch and they never gave me cause to doubt their strength. Indeed they put quite a hole in my ceiling when I casually went to unload it, ala a small JBL...:blackeye

While I'm widely and humorously regarded here as Jay Riffe's chief proponant, I have enough smarts and time in to recognize a good thing and have been incorporating yours, Jay's and Bill's stuff in my enjoyable search for dakine gun for the area's I dive. Aimrite gear gets the big thumbs up from this spearo.

The DB site and it's members will all benefit from your expertise and membership here. Welcome again.

sven

Last edited:
Good to hear it straight from the maker's mouth .
Welcome to the forum , Daryl . Hope you will continue to participate and share your knowledge with us .

Welcome Dr Wong...:D :D Ni Hau Ma ?

Good to have someone like you on the board and explain things out. Be ready to answer more question.:eek:

One starter question :

How come ur slip tip is pencil point as opposed to Tri Cut ? There must be a specific reason behind it.

Thanks,
Iya

hi

Iya I bet your eyes lit up when you noticed this post, now you have someone to share all your tech info with.

cheers

Hi Spearos,

I'm going to have my partner sign up and then you can get tech and gun building info if you want. We do our speargun stuff for fun, and our goal is to one day make enough to spend on a dive trip. Most of the fun is in the R&D and meeting new folks with the same passion as us.

Aloha, Daryl

Reactions: ivan
Originally posted by Daryl Wong
Most of the fun is in the R&D and meeting new folks with the same passion as us.
Youve come to the right place for that!:D
Lots of tech heads and number crunchers 'round here.

Nice to have ya here Daryl.

Greetings from Miami,

Hello and welcome to the forum Daryl. I have the 60 inch enclosed track mahi and love it. I still don't know how to shoot the damn thing well but that is my fault. The time and craftsmanship that you put into your gun could only come from the obsessive and compulsive mind of a dentist. I know, Im in my second year of mental torture in dental school. Its good to have a colleague that that has dedicated so much time to the sport. I hope that when I graduate I can pay you a visit and you can show me how to use that gun correctly :).

Cheers,

Aquiles

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ivan
hi

Wow Aquiles never thought yowu were into Bluewater cannons. Bet there is a bit of difference between the Mahi and your Wabitech :D

cheers

Hi Aquiles,

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get out into the real world. I had far more time to dive while in school and less pressure. Once out, your time is limited and then the bills need to be paid.
I use the same 60in ono gun that you have. It doesn't miss and it's also the same size as the one I use for guests to use when they come to visit. This is what my freind Charlie used to spear his 60# wahoo and two others while back for xmas break. I'll attach some shots of the wahoo we've been shooting over the winter here.

Aloha, Daryl

Last edited:
Originally posted by Daryl Wong
Hi Spearos,

I'm going to have my partner sign up and then you can get tech and gun building info if you want. We do our speargun stuff for fun, and our goal is to one day make enough to spend on a dive trip. Most of the fun is in the R&D and meeting new folks with the same passion as us.

Aloha, Daryl

Hi and welcome. Its pleasure to see you guys on the board. Welcome to you both Daryl and Rick. You may remmeber me, one wanted to buy hybrid and lives in Cyprus. I had a very crowded e mail traffic with you about a month ago. Anyway, i have question to Rick. When will you leave the Navy? I am sure when you guys targets speargun manufacturing as a primary job, you will be more succesfull. When you decide to open international dealers plz don`t forget Cyprus.:D

Looking forward to read your posts.

Last edited:
hi

i need a design of a trigger mechnisim with lots of detail and hope fully a pic from of the design from one of you homemade speargun makers.
if you can help me then please help thanx heeps

Probably your best bet Jason would be to drop a few hundred bucks on the actual triggers from the manufacturers and then go from there. Drawings and such are design patents and intellectual property and getting a set of drawings is going to be a stretch. Riffe, Aimrite, Alexander, Kitto, JBL and Undersee sell individual triggers while you gotta drop a load of cash to see a Merlo as it's in the gun. Good luck.

Last edited:
icarus pacific said:
Probably your best bet Jason would be to drop a few hundred bucks on the actual triggers from the manufacturers and then go from there. Drawings and such are design paptents and intellectual property and getting a set od fodrawings is going to be a stretch. Riffe, Aimrite, Alexander, Kitto, JBL and Undersee sell individual triggers while you gotta drop a load of cash to see a Merlo as it's in the gun. Good luck.

I can save you some trouble and money with Merlo, as I know that in at least some of his gun models he uses Aimrite triggers.

I'm building my mech in an Inox plate I have found in my garage.
The mech will be a Riffe copy one.

I'm planning to use it on a 1m rollergun with a 1m50/7mm shaft

But the inox plate is 1 cm thickness, which thickness do you think I should choose for the sear ?? 8mm? 7mm??

Bonne chance Cédric,

MP moi pour plus d'infos. Un indice, va voir le sujet Trigger Q's.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT