• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trigger mechs??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hapakid808

Mar 20, 2002
I was inspired by fuzz's project to start some thinking of my own. I was thinking about making a euro gun with a carbon barrel powering a heavier shaft with 3 decent sized bands with a modified riffe enclosed track kit on it. I realized the amount of kick that you might get causing the front section to kick up so i was thinking about adding some lightweight wings. Im not sure how to do this yet but first thing i need to know is what kind of euro mech would be able to take 3 5/8 bands. Any ideas?

feel free to point it out if this is a completely idiotic idea.:duh

Hapa,

Tough luck. I don't think any Euro trigger mech can take 3 of 5/8 which will produce 330 pounds of pressure. You also need at least 8mm (5/16") shaft . If ur barrel is light weight carbon, I am afraid ur gun will be 2 light. A Hybrid like Uncle Sven unit maybe the better answer. Just get an Alexander,Riffe, Kitto or maybe the Wong trigger mech and make ur own pistol grip to accomodate it. Always start with the trigger mech....always.....cause u are asking a lot at 330 pounds.

GOOD LUCK

You can't use 5/16 shaf t with thin carbon barell because it will sink.There are some rumors that C4 build euro multi band with 8m or even thicker shaft.These guns looks like though enough but i don't know the details.I just see them on the net.

There is another prototype build by Mark Labocetta. Someone had posted it but cant remmeber who was he. Anyway Mark used thick teak barell probably have enough bouyant with thick shaft and multiple rubbers.For trigger mech, i think he used standart OMER triger mech.At least it looks like standart from the outside but i don't know if he made any modification to the inside.Anyway this triger mech is the as same as my OMER's mech if he didn't made any modification.I am not sure if my gun trigger mech can ressist up to 330 pound but i really don't want to try it coz no one tryied it before.As you know missfire guns are very dangerous.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=9801

Are the carbon barrels hollow? If they are couldn't you use a little bit of styrofoam or similar material to make it so that the barrel didn't sink with the 5/16th shaft...

Also something that has always intreged me in the past is if you want a euro that could support more bands could you not use stainless steel... sure this is heavy and would want to sink but with added styrofoam or through use of some other floating substance at intervals throughout the barrel surely a reasonable balance could be achieved with enough strength to support those extra band and neither sink or float when loaded...

I am not sure about the trigger mechs because i have no idea what they are rated to... and have very little technical or engineering knowledge, would modifying a trigger such as an undersea mech be a reasonable compromise? (note I have also no idea whatsoever of the strength of an undersea mech... just that I have one lying around.:t

Some of the more technicaly minded spearo's could answers these questions in 5 mins i am guessing... no sascha I am not going to time you!!! and no this doesn't count as 2 up on me... :D

yea well i was thinking about the stainless idea and then also thinking of titanium that was a little thicker but it seems like its turning into something like a jbl. I mean once you think about it, jbls are like high powered pea shooters...

thanks for all the feedback, keep it comming if you can. any thoughts id like to hear.

oh and also i was thinking of the aimrite euro handle, its got an aimrite mech with a euro enclosure.

Originally posted by Hapakid808
i need to know is what kind of euro mech would be able to take 3 5/8 bands. Any ideas?

NONE.

Fruity girly guns. :girlie

:t to all you euro types..

By the way, no idea is stupid. What is stupid is not trying out your idea. You make it work, I'll be the second guy to try it.

sven

I mean once you think about it, jbls are like high powered pea shooters...

Yeah, OK... :hmm I've got a couple "peashooters" you're welcome to try to load... Aaron, (Octo) here just became a true believer with a Sultany modified JBL Custom.

All your needs in this gun thing are sounding more and more like a hybrid pipe gun. :king

sven

Originally posted by Dogmatrix
Some of the more technicaly minded spearo's could answers these questions in 5 mins i am guessing... no sascha I am not going to time you!!! and no this doesn't count as 2 up on me... :D
:wave Oh, Oh, I know this one! :wave

An Undersee mech will snap the sear clean with 2 20mm RA rubbers hooked to it. :blackeye

Which is why I am going to invest in a Riffe speargun kit.:eek:

My new, self-designed (read: Riffe rip-off) is made from Jarrah but until I get the trigger mech sorted Ive been testing using an aliminium barrel. And my fathers shed now has a hole in the side where the shaft exited after the Undersee mech failed.. :thankyou

btw if you block off the ends of a carbon barrel the whole thing should float fairly well. Foam is denser than air so you lose some floatation if you foam fill it. I like Dogmatrix's SS idea. Maybe if you honeycomb the inside and fill it with foam or even helium?:hmm

Murat: Which brand of gun were you using that sinks with a 5/16 shaft?

When hes done there Sven, send him this way and let him tug on the modified 450 xhd laying around.

hehe, modified... yea there are some possibilites to a powerful jbl gun. but thats not what i meant. I meant that a JBL is is like a powerful euro gun, not that a jbl is a pea shooter. wow helium, getting fancy there, why not balance the gun with some uranium... jk. But really im thinking along the lines of a titanium barrel, with the aimrite mech, a heavy (when i say heavy i mean heavier, not some 6.5 mm shaft) and mebe integrate some surf craft into it and make my wings out of surfboard foam with high thickness glassing. Im exploring all possibilities... oh no im rambling again, :D

keep it comming, mebe ill actually come up with something good with your help.

But really im thinking along the lines of a titanium barrel, with the aimrite mech, a heavy (when i say heavy i mean heavier, not some 6.5 mm shaft)

Reads like a Wong hybrid pipe gun or a Yakooji to me. You can see them at HanaPa'as and get 'em cheaper from them than you'd ever get it from me. Something about economics through volume...

sven

thanks, already got one, actually my idea is very very different than a hybrid, i was talking about using a wong pipegun trigger.

and whats the fun in buying it, half the fun in making it.

happy turkey day,

hapakid

Re: Re: Trigger mechs??

Originally posted by icarus pacific

Fruity girly guns. :girlie

:t to all you euro types..

ANDERSOOONNN ; Sven is making fun of me :waterwork

rofl

Originally posted by Shadowkiller

Murat: Which brand of gun were you using that sinks with a 5/16 shaft?

Hahahaha.....My gun is 6.5mm euro gun. Is it :girlie sven?

No i don't think so. There are some guys that using 7mm shafts to pack some pelagic.As i know we have at least one of them here.In here some guys shoots Big AJ with single band and 6.5mm shaft.

Anyway in order to increase the chance to land big pelagic, you should use ticker shaft.

For that 5/16 shaft business.Recently i sent mail to Daryl and ask him if their pipe guns can accept 5/16 shaft.But he said it will be negatively bouyant with it.Wong Hybrids consist of half teak and half carbon barell, even if this gun is sink with 5/16 shaft, i cant think if there is any euro to ressist the weight of 5/16.Did you ever see euro using 5/16 shaft?????

Originally posted by Murat

Hahahaha.....My gun is 6.5mm euro gun. Is it :girlie sven? Yep.

Anyway in order to increase the chance to land big pelagic, you should use ticker shaft.
Nope. You need to use your noggin.

For that 5/16 shaft business.Recently i sent mail to Daryl and ask him if their pipe guns can accept 5/16 shaft.But he said it will be negatively bouyant with it. So go and build yourself a set of wings or devise a float on the barrel....

Did you ever see euro using 5/16 shaft????? Nope. QUOTE]

www.gogetarealgun.com

sven ;)

Re: Re: Re: Trigger mechs??

Originally posted by Abriapnea

ANDERSOOONNN ; Sven is making fun of me :waterwork

rofl

Abri,

He's just trying to get it all out now, because come keys kraze, he'll be wishing his weapons were more feminine. :t Jay Styron and I both had Euros at last year's event and it seemed most all the fish came from us. But, then again, I've heard those big Riffes are good for tickling bugs out of their holes. :D

Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trigger mechs??

Originally posted by andrsn
But, then again, I've heard those big Riffes are good for tickling bugs out of their holes. :D

rofl
I am happy to say that I've never personally suffered from such an infestation , sounds a bit extreme . Well , guess those guns have to be good for something ...:D

Reactions: icarus pacific
holy orifice jokes, Batman!!

Laugh now ladies... I've been complimented long and often on my tickle techniques with my wood...! :t

Butt seriously folks, :hmm I have no doubt that there will be some sharing of weapons come April. I've not had the chance to use a Rabitech, but if it's got a trigger and internals worth a sh*t, I've got nooo problem giving it it's due praise. Thing is I'd have to travel to use something over 90 cm. :waterwork

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT