• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tropical water suit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Penyu

Jan 31, 2015
Hi all,

I wonder if I need a full wetsuit for my upcoming Indonesia trip (water temps 28-29 C, 82-84F) or if I can get away with 1.5mm neoprene vest and shorts? Diving will be in depth to less than 20m. I'd really like to avoid the hassle of a suit and extra lead. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Good idea. With 81 water here in Kona 3/2mm is great. The only problem for your plan is protection. Jellyfish can make a full wetsuit a lot more comfortable.

Jellyfish can make a full wetsuit a lot more comfortable.

Hi Bill,
lucky man if you're diving in these temps year round. I have to travel half around the world for that. Will wear a long sleeve rash guard against jellyfish. My main concern is warmth. Surfing in these waters needs nothing more than boardshorts, but freediving you're obviously generate much less body heat. So far I have only snorkelled in tropical waters and that never much longer than an hour or so. The combi of vest and shorts would be a lot more versatile. How do other people dive in water temps of > 28° C/82 F ?

For the Maldives I got myself a Mares Trilastic Rashguard full suit. I think I paid under 50 Euros for it. It will fit in any beachbag and you can get it on and off in a jiffy. Plus it doesnt change your bouyancy much. I've heard they have Box Jellyfish and Stonefish around Indonesia, so maybe it's 50 Euros well invested.

Hi William, thanks for the advice. So there was no need for any thermal insulation in Maldivian waters? How long did you stay in a single diving session and how deep did you dive? Cheers!

Hi Penyu, basically we stayed in the water until our skin went wrinkly. LOL. I was in the water for at least three/four hours at a time and the suit has a 50+ UV protection which you need then or else you'll get a burnt back. The rashguard suit actually does have a slight thermo effect. I know people who use them as added insulation under wetsuits. Didn't dive too deep, maybe 15-20m at a stretch. The absolute highlight was swimming with Whale Sharks.

Hi all,

I wonder if I need a full wetsuit for my upcoming Indonesia trip (water temps 28-29 C, 82-84F) or if I can get away with 1.5mm neoprene vest and shorts? Diving will be in depth to less than 20m. I'd really like to avoid the hassle of a suit and extra lead. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
At 84 degrees, you won't need any suit, although what you have will be nice if you are skinny, tow for long, or stay in the water for multiple hours.

At 82 degrees, you will definitely need your light suit if you are skinny and it would be a good thing even if you are not.

No need for a full suit. You would roast in a 3 mil freediving suit.

Reactions: Penyu
No need for a full suit. You would roast in a 3 mil freediving suit.

Thanks Connor, for you advice. What do you think how much lead would be sufficient to offset a 1.5 mm vest (no sleeves) in salt water. Unfortunately no way for me to test this at my landlocked location. In fresh water I use 2kg in a full 5mm suit and I am neutral at 10m.
Cheers!

1.5 mil vest is pretty close to zero. probably less than .5 kg. Test it in a bucket of water. How much lead does it take to sink it? Use less than that on your belt to compensate for depth/buoyancy change.

The rash guard full suit is a good idea. I've seen people use them in 84 degree water, works fine. Might be a bit chilly at 82 degrees if you stay in long. Need to be sure you can get it off (at least the upper half) easily once you get out of the water. A big problem with full freediving suits, even thin ones, is how hard and slow they are to remove. Since the diver usually isn't cold when he gets out, the tropical sun makes them extremely hot , extremely fast once back on the boat. A vest is not so hot when you get out, but you will want to get it off pretty fast as well.

Hi,

I have similar travelling and diving plans, as I will fly to Indonesia as well. My problems with suits is always that I am quite tall (2m/6,7ft) but very thin (73kg/160lbs). Now I found something that fit's good because it has no sleeves: the camaro blacktec speedshorty. ( http://camaro.at/de/triathlon/swimming.php?id=95109599 )
I haven't bought it yet. It's actually made for swimming and I have no experiences with suits like that. So I have some questions. Do you think I would need lead when I go freediving with it (I have no fat, that's worth mentioning)? Will it also be warm enough to stay some time in a little bit colder water, let's say 78 or 80°F (26/27 C)
Do you think this model: ( http://camaro.at/de/triathlon/swimming.php?id=95779599 ) which has the only difference that the legs are longer, makes much difference regarding buoyancy and warmth?
I'd like to use the suit for freediving in Indonesia but also for warm days in southern Europe or in a pool.
And how important are sleeves and legs in general, as I have really a hard time to find a non-custom suit, and also don't have to much money.

Greetings and thanks,

Oli

Can you find a thin suit with a hood? Your highest heat loss will be crotch and head/neck. The warmth ability of suits without arms or hood is critically dependent on how well the arm holes and neck seal. A badly fitting hooded, sleeved suit is likely to be warmer than a sleeveless, no hood suit that fits well. 78 degrees is pretty cool for any of the linked suits, especially with your build. For that temp, I'd try to find a 3/2 surfer suit that might fit, plus a separate 2 mil hood.

The lower legs don't add much warmth.

With your build, a custom suit may be required.

Note: If you are used to cool temps, you will be able to tolerate colder water. My observations are based on a skinny guy who lives in a hot climate.

Hello,
thank you for your reply.
Actually I am looking for something to go travelling with. Somethings light where I wouldn't need lead or just a little bit. This is why I thought about a shorty... I honestly don't really worry about jellyfish and the sun.
I think when I will go for a custom one I would choose Elios, going for 3mm. I read here that this is too warm for Indonesia and it would need at least 2 oder 3 kilo lead I guess.
So I'm thinking, for this holiday, I might go for the camaro blacktec speedshorty and combine it with a 2mm hood. I put it one once, and it really felt like a second skin, absolutely tight, even at the neck. Is that reasonable for the indonesian climate? Do you think I will nead lead for freediving with it (I am very thin).

Greetings
Oli

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT