• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trouble finning down parallel to the line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ishuyi

May 13, 2017
Hi! I have no trouble finning straight in the swimming pool following the line on the ground. But the moment I go open water to do constant weight, I find myself either constantly moving towards the line (head bumping into line) or spiraling around it as I go down.

My coaches ask me to fin towards the line to move my body away from it and to keep adjusting my body orientation to be vertically down so I don't spin like a top.

I wonder if anyone has ever experienced this issue and how have you worked about it?

Thanks!

I have the exact same problem! Always diving into the dive line and sometimes spinning around like a ballerinahope I can help you with my own experience...

My instructors told me the reason why-
For diving into the line its because my front kicks are weak, it got much better when i started doing stronger front kicks. (bringing your leg to the front more)

Spinning around :mostly because the kicks are uneven eg. for me I have a muchhh stronger right kick. When the left/right kicks are uneven thats when you start spinning :)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: xristos and ishuyi
I have the exact same problem! Always diving into the dive line and sometimes spinning around like a ballerinahope I can help you with my own experience...

My instructors told me the reason why-
For diving into the line its because my front kicks are weak, it got much better when i started doing stronger front kicks. (bringing your leg to the front more)

Spinning around :mostly because the kicks are uneven eg. for me I have a muchhh stronger right kick. When the left/right kicks are uneven thats when you start spinning :)

Hope that helps!

Thank you! Yes! That's very helpful :)

Reactions: itinachan
Thank you! Yes! That's very helpful :)

Try to fin vertically, in the water (like you're standing on land) while you keep your head and shoulders out of the water, if you start falling to the front you know you have to do stronger front kicks , and when you are good you should stay the same place (not going up/down/ left/right/front/back)

It will take some time as I find myself sometimes still diving into the line but practice makes perfect :D

Try to fin vertically, in the water (like you're standing on land) while you keep your head and shoulders out of the water, if you start falling to the front you know you have to do stronger front kicks , and when you are good you should stay the same place (not going up/down/ left/right/front/back)

It will take some time as I find myself sometimes still diving into the line but practice makes perfect :D

That's a very good exercise to practice! Thank you!! I will try it in the pool. :)

Reactions: itinachan
Another exercise is to do a handstand on the bottom of a reasonably deep-ish pool and push into the ground.

The key is to straighten out and balance to make sure you're neither falling forward or backward.

To advance the training, do the same balancing on the top of your head. - Be sure to touch down gently when doing this! :-D

Like so:

2017-02-12_PRW21469_960.png

Reactions: ishuyi
Another exercise is to do a handstand on the bottom of a reasonably deep-ish pool and push into the ground.

The key is to straighten out and balance to make sure you're neither falling forward or backward.

To advance the training, do the same balancing on the top of your head. - Be sure to touch down gently when doing this! :-D

Like so:

View attachment 43965

Thank you. That looks like a great workout. I'll give it a try soon. :)

Byt the moment I go open water to do constant weight, I find myself either constantly moving towards the line (head bumping into line) or spiraling around it as I go down.

I wonder if anyone has ever experienced this issue and how have you worked about it?

Thanks!

Only when I'm drunk!

Reactions: sanso and ishuyi
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT