• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

trying out my new gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Some nice fish stretch !! A Nice size Crayfish in the mix as well.

Jeff.

The gun looks great . Does it work like you want it to ?I was getting concerned since I haven't heard from you .I thought one of those hurricans gave you some trouble but it looks like everything is going good.What was the water like out there?

Nice fish and bugs man.

AJ,

I hit a blue runner @ 15+ feet out...pretty darn accurate. I'm very happy with it...3 to 4 bands give it alot of power.
Ready to start working on the next.

Water clarity was about 40 to 50'. but you had to make a far run out...

did not post the small mahi we shot.

also saw some wahoo that my buddy took a shot at...too far out.

Ashley had 2 30lbs+ AJ's tear off.

John.

By the look on your face I can tell it was a long day.Good that you got to reap the rewards for all you hard work on the gun .

that slip tip rig worked damn good...almost too good as it took a bit to get it back through the fish...tell ya one thing though it holds the hell out of a fish.

Defo...get back to SC...screw that west coast mess.

Nice gun - must have been fun to make - but I have a question - do the fish get bigger where you are (excuse my ignorance) ?

The reason I ask is that I would imagine a 100cm or 110cm wooden gun would do ?

I'm not hassling you for using a biggger gun but just curious !

I just got a totemsub pelagos 100 which is my first gun and first wooden gun - pretty sweet those wooden guns !

Portinfer, there is no ignorance in your question.
...The only 2 fish I pulled the trigger on was the cuda and the blue runner...I had a rainbow runner lined up and aborted the shot due to my mask slowly filling with water as I closed the distance.

The fish indeed get bigger here...the gun is definatley intended for fish exceeding the 20lb mark...but as I stated in my title I was testing it out...it is indeed capable (speed and power wise) of taking larger fish...and rest assured next trip the trigger will not be pulled on anything waying less than 15 or 20 lbs.

I'm not sure if I wrote it but we were in 100+fsw where we were capable of seeing mahi, wahoo, tuna (yeh right...not this time of year) cobia,...etc.

ps.
defo...Les saw HUNDREDS of cobia on the ledge while on scuba...too bad none of them would come midwater.

hope this answers your question port.

John.

previous years my friend got two mahi, one is 17 other one is 18 kg with 75 or 90cm OMER:D Belive me you don't need multiband power house to shoot big fishes, Dapiran also got one of his videos 50-60kg tuna with 106cm speargun. Same friend of mine got 70 kg AJ in either 70s-80s with 70 or 90 cm penumatic, that time band gun was not very usual...;)

By the way John nice fishes and gun you have, is that the one you made???:)

Well, that would certainly boost my bottom time. I'd make a 100' drop for one of those guys (I'd worry about the ascent later). And boys, that gun has been John's life for 4 months. It's great that you can buid something that really satiates a hobby. I'f I could build a euro gun that be great- I shoot them all the time. But sometimes you just want to take your hobby/passion to the next level and whip something out on the table saw that you can throw over your shoulder and have girls check you out while your dragging your stringer along the dock.

Believe me, i know john and the gun that will still get the most use is 24".

By the way the vis. here looks tempting... Obviously better than Chuck-town, although there is some algal bloom or something. seems to be a really greenish 3-5' in the bay. Best part is for the three days I've been here I've seen guys trolling and flyfishing. My only question is stripers or salmon? Either way I'm going to have to take my camera b/c the guns a no-no, damn hippies. Still feel like I'm on Folly.

Defo,
see if you would have stayed just a bit longer you could have gotten into stuff like this in the upstate...5+' of viz. then run offshore and took some shots at some pelagics.

get back to sc.

ps...we strung our fish in the water at the dock, so before the peanut gallery starts flapping jaws about "nice shot...he he he"...the turtles decided to play "tiger shark" and have a go at our fish...so that big gash=snapping turtles.

Nice catfish man....I really enjoy to shoot them back home and they taste o'so good. Congrats as well on building such a nice looking and functioning tool.

Keep having fun,
Justin

Wood is good.

Speaking of good looking wood, Sven is selling some choice speargun stock in the For Sale section

WHere is the "for sale" section? I do not see wooden gun in the shop section?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT