• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tuna roller de power (a little)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andy Rowland

May 5, 2017
Hi guys,
I'm new to spearing but have used a hand spear for a few weeks. I'm looking to upgrade to a "proper" speargun and like the Rob Allen Tuna railgun specs. I think it would cover all of the aspects I'd need from a gun including the ability to just use one rubber for reef/rocks areas.

My question is this , the Rob Allan rollergun looks awsome in specs but I'm sure would be over powered for using arround the reef. Does the spear have a 2nd notch part way down the shaft to use for less powered shooting? If not could a 2nd smaller rubber like the loader for the rollergun be used to lessen the stretch of the rubbers for closer shooting modes?
Cheers

Hey Andy, if you are thinking of buying a gun, I would definitely recommend the Rob Alan Sparid 1100 as a good allrounder. You can use it with a single rubber around reefs, then add a 2nd rubber when you feel you're ready to go after pelagics or more open water fish. Yes you can also load onto the lower notch to depower any gun, or even drop the rubber diameter within reason.

Even a 1000m Sparid would be plenty mate, check load one in the water and see how comfortable you feel before you buy anything (arm length/strength)

As far as I know, the Rob Alan Tuna is just a RA Sparid with a second rubber fitted. One of my guns is the 1100 Sparid with 2 x 16m rubbers and it's a very powerful gun, the 1100 is pretty much the benchmark for most people.

Consider moving on to a roller when you've had a bit more time in the water, no need to over complicate things just yet, I just bought another perfect 2nd hand 1100 Sparid double 16mm for $200 that I'm converting to a 900mm roller for caves etc. There's plenty of good gear out there cheap so you can chop and change until you know what you realy like best before throwing down the big bucks.

It's not the gun that gets the fish, it's the Spearo :) good luck

Reactions: Andrew the fish
Hey Andy, if you are thinking of buying a gun, I would definitely recommend the Rob Alan Sparid 1100 as a good allrounder. You can use it with a single rubber around reefs, then add a 2nd rubber when you feel you're ready to go after pelagics or more open water fish. Yes you can also load onto the lower notch to depower any gun, or even drop the rubber diameter within reason.

Even a 1000m Sparid would be plenty mate, check load one in the water and see how comfortable you feel before you buy anything (arm length/strength)

As far as I know, the Rob Alan Tuna is just a RA Sparid with a second rubber fitted. One of my guns is the 1100 Sparid with 2 x 16m rubbers and it's a very powerful gun, the 1100 is pretty much the benchmark for most people.

Consider moving on to a roller when you've had a bit more time in the water, no need to over complicate things just yet, I just bought another perfect 2nd hand 1100 Sparid double 16mm for $200 that I'm converting to a 900mm roller for caves etc. There's plenty of good gear out there cheap so you can chop and change until you know what you realy like best before throwing down the big bucks.

It's not the gun that gets the fish, it's the Spearo :) good luck
Thanks for that, sounds like good advice to me

Reactions: dadinabarrel
Another way to hunt around the reef is to just lay there and wait until the fish comes out of the hole he has been hiding in, when he is swimming clear nail him, doesn't matter how powerful your gun is, if there isn't a rock behind him alls well. Also you don't loose fish this way.

Reactions: Andy Rowland
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT