• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tuna vs. Rabitech

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Hi there, visited the Rabitech workshop today and thought i just had to show you what i saw!!!:p

Weights were as follows:

Louis : 62.1kg, 63.9 kg, 75.4kg, 54.6kg

Andries : 56.9kg, 45.5kg, 81.45kg.

Deon : 67.3kg, 65.0kg, 59.5kg.

I think after seeing this some of you guys should come and visit us in Cape Town, South Africa :D :D

Attachments

• rabitech2.jpg
    rabitech2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 652
Here is a close up...........

Attachments

• rabitech1.jpg
    rabitech1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 637
Goatfish
they got close to these fish by drivinng out there in a boat
Peter
PS sorry for smart reply I couldnt resist it.

hi goatfish, we have a small recreational tuna fishing community and running 20 to 50 miles offshore is a very costly affair. The fisherman therefore decided that they would always keep in touch with the other tuna boats so as to maximise their chances of catching fish. So, even in competions the first couple of boats to hook up will announce their gps co-ordinates via vhf radio to the rest of the fleet and then its generally a charge for that specific area. The way we go about finding these tuna is to get the gps co-ordinates of the area where the fish was caught/seen the previous day. You then run offshore to that area and normally start trolling. Whilst waiting for a hook-up, the crew normally watches for signs such as feeding birds, schools of fish, etc. The skipper also sets the fish alarm on the echo. Once fish has been found, the boat is stopped and chum is thrown into the water. If you get it right, i've seen a school of 50-70kg tuna gobbling up chum right next to my boat!!:p I've been out on the tuna grounds and seen big fish, 70kg+ sizes, jump around the boat whilst you are driving!!! Wierd because first a crew member will go : check the dolphins........(then silence).........wait dolphins don't have yellow fins!!!! :D
We are also very fortunate that the average size tuna we get is fish in the 40-50kg class!!!!

Ive been off North Carolina and we were chunking for tuna. The big bluefin tuna were like goldfish. They would come RIGHT next to the boat (within 1 ft of the boat) and surface to get the cut menhaden on the surface. They looked like dolphin coming up for air. Each fish was like 300lb plus

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT