• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eric aqua

Apr 17, 2005
Just to put you lads in the picture a 16k Tuna has been caught off Portland the first to be landed by a spearo in this country and just to add to excitement that is buzzing around the BSA internal mail 2 bonitos were landed last week from at netting boat out of Newhaven.

Thanks Eric quite a few reports about the catch on the forum now - well done Brett.
It seem there lots of exotics turning up, there was a "shore rod fishing" caught tuna from Jersey few week back too.

Tuna has been positively identified as a female Northern Bluefin. It was dissected by aquarist Andrew Holmes from Blue Reef Newquay. He was supervised by marine biologist Dr Paul Gainey. They went through a pretty comprehensive checklist and the liver was the final confirmation.

Northern Bluefin, sweet!
Thanks for the update Eric.

Does that mean Brett didn't get to eat it...? That kind of sucks...

It appears that the blue fin is highly endagered, some people are jumping up and down about this on other forums. Probably best to take your finger off the trigger if you see one.

It appears that the blue fin is highly endagered, some people are jumping up and down about this on other forums. Probably best to take your finger off the trigger if you see one.

Just curious as to the name of '' other forums''?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Don Paul

Yep - had a quick look on World sea fishing forums & found two threads without looking to hard but couldn't be bothered to read through them!!

It's pretty hard case. That species is under massive and continued pressure from commercial fishing of various kinds (longlining, netting, farming), putting it in danger. A single fish gets taken by a recreational fisher using a marginalised method that accounts for an infintesimally small proportion of the total catch and suddenly he's at fault?

Reactions: SurfnSpear
If only you could punch people via the internet... if only...

111ent.jpg

So, what's the opinion then? If you guys were to see another, and knowing that it's an endagered species, would you still take a shot?

Either way, I think those guys can be forgiven, I don't suppose you expect to be coming across endagered species in UK waters, and the fact that test have to be carried out to determine the exact species does just show the difficulty in identifying these.

So, what's the opinion then? If you guys were to see another, and knowing that it's an endagered species, would you still take a shot?

Without a second thought.

A single spearo is not what endangers species, it's the vast fleets of trawlers and man's insatiable greed to pillage the seas on an industrial scale.

Spearo's are hunters; probably some of the most ecologically aware hunters there are. If the question was: "Would I run a trawler through a big shoal of endangered tuna?", then the answer would be no but to pass on taking a single fish, the absolute fish of a life-time, a one-in a million opportunity that I know will have basically zero impact on the global population - no true spearo would turn that down.

My hat off to Bret for taking the Tuna I would have done the same if I had a chance. What Bret has also done is to have highlighted and made aware to a huge number of people in the entire country of how endangered Tuna are. I was not aware of this myself. What we must do as spearo's is to set an example rather than to say sod it look at what the rest of the world are doing. The modern world is full of people who wish to take our way of life away ! they have no understanding of what they spout off about. I have close friends who are marine bioligists etc but they never down me for spearfishing.
I would as a dedicated spearo love to take a shot at a Tuna , but if it was going to sadly end spearfishing or damage it in the UK would have to think again.

I am not in anyway slagging Bret off, he has probaly done a massive thing by highlighting the sadly endangered speices around our coasts.

By the way there was a nice picture in the local paper of Bret and Tuna.

Reactions: devondave
If I’m ever lucky enough to come across one I’d take it in a heart beat and with no regrets. Like Brett has done it’ll be given the best possible send off and all with ZERO by catch.
One fish for one family and no tin’s in sight!

Reactions: SurfnSpear
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT