• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What is the likely punishment if found guilty of doing so?

Life in prison where you’d be continually force feed tinned tuna from line caught:head, dolphin free:head sustainable tuna grounds:head of the Mediterranean.:head

Sorry to put a Damper on your conversation regarding ethics and all the rest of it...

NORTHERN BLUEFIN TUNA IS NOT I REPEAT NOT ENDANGERED!!!

It is also known as long tale tuna I shot one 20.2 KG it is NOT the same as a southern or atlantic tuna... they dont grow huge and they don't get heavily targeted for sushi or any of that.

So dude... well done on your tuna! and to the rest of you... rather then involving yourself in the hype... have a bit more of a look into the species then get involved rather then joining the circus ;)

Also your right they can look similar to a yellow fin... if you have never caught the two before... once you have seen a few of both up close and personal you wont mistake them...

Ohh yeah... the 20.2KG fish would have eclipsed the australian spearfishing record by almost 4 kilo at the time if i had claimed it ;) now Tony Huegh has it... arr well.

National Longtail Tuna Survey

This was in the Atlantic Dogmatrix. Which makes it a Thunnus thynnus (big, endangered and good sushi). Check the geographic distribution of the longtail tuna (Thunnus tonggol) on the site you posted.

Last edited:
Hey mullins,

Eric Aqua said "Tuna has been positively identified as a female Northern Bluefin. It was dissected by aquarist Andrew Holmes from Blue Reef Newquay. He was supervised by marine biologist Dr Paul Gainey. They went through a pretty comprehensive checklist and the liver was the final confirmation."

Thats what i worked off... if the above comment does relate to the tuna in question and i didn't get my wires crossed it sounds like 2 marine biologist to declare it a Northern bluefin perhaps one that swam a little way from home.

At the end of the day if any of you eat Tuna from a can... you cant get too upset on a spearo shooting one... counter productive especially considering the impact of spearo's on tuna stocks!

take care

The name "Northern Bluefin Tuna" is used to describe different species in different parts of the world. I can think of at least three. Pretty sure in this case they'll be referring to Thunnus thynnus.

I have zero problem with a spearo taking one of these off the UK coast. Bloody good effort in my opinion.

Thats a fair call! thought i might have been miss-interpreting the post...
I agree a good effort!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT