• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Twin Pipe (loop) Snorkel (DIY)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have now managed to complete 2 models (1 with a 1 way valve and 1 without).... I've sent them off to iMaterialise in Belgium for 3D printing and they should be delivered in 3 weeks.

Final Designs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good! I like the one with the valve, allows you to have bigger diameter tubes. I know most people don't like vavlves but I don't like snall diameter tubes as I feel like I don't get enough air. Good job, keep us up to date when you receive them.

Looks really good! I like the one with the valve, allows you to have bigger diameter tubes. I know most people don't like vavlves but I don't like snall diameter tubes as I feel like I don't get enough air. Good job, keep us up to date when you receive them.

Thanks Gab... I hope you're right regarding the one way valve... looking forward to getting them both but have now been told by iMaterialise that the free version of Sketchup I used, doesn't really allow a 'super' smooth print out which is a bit disappointing... just have to wait and see the end results I guess?
Costs have been absolutely minimal though when you consider that you can now 3 dimensionally design 'anything' on your computer and have it delivered to your door for around £22.00... astonishing!

Fingers crossed!

have now been told by iMaterialise that the free version of Sketchup I used, doesn't really allow a 'super' smooth print out which is a bit disappointing...

You can sand it a little I think. I found several free websites that are like sketchup, maybe you can import your drawings in them directly? I admit not understanding how the CAD software used determins the finish...maybe they have a professional printer that doesn't accept those files and a consumer printer that accepts those files hence the quality issue?

You can sand it a little I think. I found several free websites that are like sketchup, maybe you can import your drawings in them directly? I admit not understanding how the CAD software used determins the finish...maybe they have a professional printer that doesn't accept those files and a consumer printer that accepts those files hence the quality issue?

A bit of 'upmarketing' regarding further design services/costs wouldn't surprise me either?
After looking around a bit I found local 3D print groups/individuals who just charge minimal/running costs... so its definitely possible to get this done for even less and even nearer to home?
Having said that iMaterialise can actually 3d print your models in stainless steel and Gold plate?

I got my 2 snorkel regulators from iMaterialise this evening... I'm still in a state of shock regarding how well made and robust they are... all my new parts (silicone diaphragm for 1 way valve, silicone mouthpieces, pipes etc.) fit perfectly, really nice and tight... nothing short of perfection I have to say!
I'll post up some images when I get time and will hopefully test in a pool at the weekend!

What a result?

I got my 2 regulators from iMaterialise this evening... I'm still in a state of shock regarding how well made and robust they are... all my new parts (silicone diaphragm for 1 way valve, silicone mouthpieces, pipes etc.) fit perfectly, really nice and tight... nothing short of perfection I have to say!
I'll post up some images when I get time and will hopefully test in a pool at the weekend!

What a result?

That is great, please keep us posted!

That is great, please keep us posted!

Much thanks for your interest here Gab... wouldn't have done it without you!

Valve version ready for use...

WP_000322.jpg

No Valve Version

WP_000324.jpg

Apologies for quality of phone produced photos... I will post up later in higher res.

Apologies for quality of phone produced photos... I will post up later in higher res.

Don't apologies :), it is great so see the pics! How is the finish? I can't see well from the picture, they had said that the finish was not as good using the Google 3d CAD software, is that the case?

I have to say they look quite good, I can see why you were amazed. Are you going to try both or just one of them tomorrow?

Perhaps you can see the finish a bit better in this image... WP_000335.jpg you can also get a better idea of the scale too.
The finish is a matt and grips the pipes and mouthpiece nicely adding to the closeness of the fit... no need for cable ties! The close up phone photos and flash (above) are misleading but you can see lines running through it... slightly... still looks really nice though! I couldn't be more pleased... they even look as if they could last for years?

Did a quick test under water and the airflow is spot-on... the minimal resistance of the purge seems good/excellent with the valved version... very easy to clear... a tiny bit of gurgle but less than any snorkel I've used. I'll build & test the non-valve version as soon as possible.

Reactions: Gab
Did a quick test under water and the airflow is spot-on... the minimal resistance of the purge seems good/excellent with the valved version... very easy to clear... a tiny bit of gurgle but less than any snorkel I've used. I'll build & test the non-valve version as soon as possible.

Sounds really promising! It must feel really good when you use it and think that you made it, good job!

Reactions: artiz
How can I get ahold of one?

Good question... iMaterialise will actually sell these designs on their web site so you can just order it directly from them. You can even order a stainless steel version... After tests/trials etc I will post it up on their site and provide the link on this thread.

Sounds really promising! It must feel really good when you use it and think that you made it, good job!

You were correct about the pipes Gab, you can probably choose your own inner diameter between 11mm and 14mm... The regulator itself determines the airflow though... I reduced the inner diameter to 9.5mm on both and it feels/seems like the optimum size/measurement.

You were correct about the pipes Gab, you can probably choose your own inner diameter between 11mm and 14mm... The regulator itself determines the airflow though... I reduced the inner diameter to 9.5mm on both and it feels/seems like the optimum size/measurement.

Ok, thanks for the info. Will be interesting to know if you end up with different inner diameters for the version having a purge valve and the version without the purge valve.

How does it compare to your original non-printed design?

Ok, thanks for the info. Will be interesting to know if you end up with different inner diameters for the version having a purge valve and the version without the purge valve.

How does it compare to your original non-printed design?

I still haven't tried my non-print design in working conditions yet but will definitely take all 3 to the pool on Saturday for comparison... so can't say yet... I think it may be a few weeks but as soon as we get a break in the weather I'll do some proper field trials and post a report. I certainly haven't found any 'weaknesses' for design/Sketchup improvement yet... which is encouraging... do you think you will/may order one?... trials/tests will be far more useful/objective from another spearo?

I still haven't tried my non-print design in working conditions yet but will definitely take all 3 to the pool on Saturday... so can't say really... I think it may be a few weeks yet but as soon as we get a break in the weather I'll do some proper field trials and post a report. I certainly haven't found any 'weaknesses' for design improvement yet... which is encouraging... do you think you will/may order one?... trials/tests will be far more useful/objective from another spearo?

Sure, I will, I need a break from the weather too though, water is 6C right now and no local pools I can use I think, although maybe if it is not apnea and I use it like a swimmer would I can try, not sure it it is much of a test though. For sure though I will try it on my next trip. Is the valve a standard valve (if such a thing exists)?

Is the valve a standard valve (if such a thing exists)?

Another good question...?

I used the measurements for the valve design from my old donor IST snorkel so the 25mm diaphragm (my only 1) which fitted perhaps too perfectly... was a massive relief at first, but now I have snapped it trying to take it back out!

I also had difficulty finding new 25mm ones .... eventually shipping 2x20mm's in desperation from House of Scuba (USA) for £9.00 which arrived this evening and as luck would have it, they fit into my 3D printed (valve) version just fine but still to be tested... I'll carry on looking for new 25mm ones because even though they clearly don't like coming back out again the fit was absolutely perfect... so to answer your question 20mm ones fit as do 25mm (across the top of the mushroom)... so nice to have the choice cos they're not that easy to find? This IST complete spares pack looks promising but can't find any measurements?

acc724.jpg
My donor snorkel is available here on ebay for £12.00 so I've just ordered another one for the purge valve that I snapped... very costly mistake but I'm hoping to make use of all the parts... eventually?

Lastly, I forgot to mention the silicone mouthpieces I got from ebay/Beaver...

$(KGrHqV,!nsFJN)Q)ZcqBS,mfymZQ!~~60_35.JPG

I liked Apneaddicts' long bite mouthpiece but really like the way these bridged MP's fit fully into my mouth whilst minimising my tendency to overbite/grit my teeth!

P.S. I should have just said I 'designed' the valve version to fit a range of purge valves from 20-25mm as well as a host of airflow options from 10-14mm as 'standard'... but then I would've been lying!

I didn't get this twin-pipe snorkel idea at first (see my response on this thread "A better snorkel for spearfishing", http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/a-better-snorkel-for-spearfishing.99138/ ). However, I just fixed the video link on the other thread referenced in the original post: http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/very-cool-diy-dual-tube-snorkel-for-about-6.97796/ and watched it. Ok I am beginning to see some potential advantages:

1. Reduces "Salt fog" - whatever that is. (BTW How does it achieve that?)
2. Clean purging - don't see why that would be but if it does that would indeed be a benefit. I would have expected that it might be worse, for example: might water sometimes be purged from only one of the 2 pipes? If so, you'd end up with water re-filling the mouth-piece :spitoutdummy:
3. Hydrodynamic (streamline)
4. You can make it yourself, cheaply - or 3-D print it (brilliant!).
5. Probably less cumbersome in use that a normal mask-mounted snorkel. No need to remove & hold (for those who prefer to remove the snorkel when diving) - just drop it from the mouth.

Ok, I beginning to see some potential. Anybody using one for spearfishing regulary? Anybody tried one?

Last edited:
Very Funy thing :) I will stay on simple snorkel. More simplest beter things it is. But this is jut my opinion.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT