• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Twitch do you think is better?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sinkweight

fat flotilla
Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
I need some clearing up as usual, folks.

It's time for the old sinkweight to shed some pounds before he tries to squeeze into a wetsuit, let alone a swimsuit, by the time my Performance Freediving clinic rolls around. I don't need to sink that fast.

Although I plan on doing the same tricks that let me shed 60 pounds last summer, I'd like to approach my exercise with a better understanding of what my body is going through. I know...that sounds like the segway to an scratchy, out-of-date industrial film about the human body, but hear me out here, folks.

I think some of the reasons I gained a little of that weight back was:

1. Low thyroid and thyroxine levels (hypothyroid), slower metabolism in rest state (slower than average, that is)

2. Winter setbacks; Holiday food binges...depressing cold and dead surroundings...on average, the weather didn't really inspire me to get out in the cold and ride my bike...nowhere to swim...did I mention holiday food binges?

3. My bicycle is currently out of commision (I can't walk or jog for long distances with my left knee messed up like it is)

--------------- ~ 0 ~ ------------------

INTERMISSION....*music plays* let's all go to the lo-bby, let's all go to the lo-bby...

--------------- ~ 0 ~ ------------------

To explain the thread title...or try to, at least....I think most of you already know that the human body is comprised of two main types of muscle, fast-twitch and slow twitch. Fast-twitch muscles are better suited for high output for a short time, while slow-twitch muscles handle endurance better.

weightlifting = fast-twitch

marathon running = slow-twitch

Anyhoo, I think my body mostly utillizes fast-twitch muscles. Let's face it I'm a graphic artist who sits at a desk all day, typing his problems to Deeperblue while he's supposed to be working on projects due in the next hour. I don't have a lot of time during the day to go on a walk. It's strange really, I can't jog for more than two miles before having to call a cab...but I can sprint faster than any of my friends...in cowboy boots, even.

My questions are, and sorry for not saying them outright...

1. How effective is wet apnea (dynamic and freediving) in the way of anaerobic exersice, if it could be utilized as exercise in the first place? Or rather, how anaerobic IS wet apnea?

2. I realize that anaerobic workouts help increase metabolism in a person's rest state, in that fact, I'd like to do more anaerobic exercises that may boost my metabolism. What are the best type of exercises in this interest?

3. From what I've read, during anaerobic exercise, energy comes from burning about 85% carbohydrates, and the rest being whatever sugars are available in the blood stream, the remainder is typically about 1% protein. Is there anyway to cheat this process and add body fat to this fuel?

4. What's the best type of swim-stroke you can do to even out the aerobic and anaerobic exercise?

Any tips and tricks welcome, as well as names of supplements to take during exercises....$20 donations also welcome.:)

I'll stop here, as I'm sure you've had enough.

a pre-thank-you for any help available.

Your big, fat, fat fatty,

sinkweight said:
1. How effective is wet apnea (dynamic and freediving) in the way of anaerobic exersice, if it could be utilized as exercise in the first place? Or rather, how anaerobic IS wet apnea?
I think wet dynamic apnea definitely counts as exercise! Last week I did some hard dynamic training and I was so tired afterwards, the pain lasted for three days. Today I did the same again, so tomorrow I'll pay for all that lactic acid and CO2.

I'm sure this must be keeping me fit.

I don't know about the other things, whether it burns fat etc...

Lucia

Reactions: sinkweight
i would also like to know what sinkweight stated
.......anyone know the best/most effective way of losing fat?

naiad said:
Last week I did some hard dynamic training and I was so tired afterwards, the pain lasted for three days. Today I did the same again, so tomorrow I'll pay for all that lactic acid and CO2.
This time there isn't any pain! The training has made a big difference!

It is keeping me fit...

"From what I've read, during anaerobic exercise, energy comes from burning about 85% carbohydrates, and the rest being whatever sugars are available in the blood stream, the remainder is typically about 1% protein. Is there anyway to cheat this process and add body fat to this fuel?"

Short answer, no. If you are careful with diet, your body will later break down some fat to replace the glycogen that you burned while working out. During intense exercise, however, it's all about glycogen, whether you call it sugar or carbs.

Unfortunately for people with limited time to workout, the best fat burning exercise is to keep your heart rate at 65% to 80% of max for hour after hour.

"Anyone know the best/most effective way of losing fat?"

Cross-country skiing at moderate pace. No problem in SoCal, right? :cool:

I believe bicycle riding comes in at number two. As long as you don't fall off, it's easy on the body and allows you to go for at least a couple of hours at a shot.

Running is very effective, but awfully hard on the knees. If memory serves, it comes in at number three. (If you could do it for hours at a time it would probably be number two; it's more effective per unit of time than cycling.)

Swimming, unfortunately, isn't super effective for weight loss. Apparently your body reacts to swimming by maintaining a certaint amount of fat for flotation and insulation. I've never seen any empirical proof of that; it seems to be one of those "everyone knows" things.

The bottom line, though, seems to be heart rate. 65% - 85% max heart rate for as long as you have time for, as often as you can manage.

As a former distance runner, I have to agree with Noel. Although I didn't personally lose any weight while running, I saw others lose substantial amounts this way. The kicker of course was that they had to lose a certian amount before they could begin running!

Running is great, but not for everyone. I ran fairly consistently for about 4 years, and suffered dual stress fractures in my shins, knee problems, foot problems, back problems ect. On the other hand I know people who have been running 1-8 marathons per year for 10+ years without really any ill effects. I guess I'm not one of those people! :waterwork Too bad 'cause I really liked the way running made me feel... apart from the injuries that is :crutch :hmm

Back to the topic at hand however. Once again I agree with Noel completely that extended periods of time at elevated heart rates is the best way to burn fat. This can be accomplished at your local gym on the eliptical trainer (or other no-impact aerobic training) beside that cute blonde that always seems to be there :girlie When you get tired of that and need a change of scenery, you can get your bike fixed and ride everywhere. An hour or two a day of whatever aerobic excercise you choose is great for the body and even better for the mind. It's amazing how little the problems of life bother you after 25-40 miles on your bike!

As far as anerobic excercises to boost metabolizim, anything that puts your muscles in need of repair should accomplish this. Even the extended aerobic excercises will do this to some extent. I personally use weightlifting to accomplish exactly that.

There are many theories about these types of training and how well they jive with freedive training. The best freediving athletes however all seem to spend a fair amount of time at the gym, so I'm sure it can't be that counterproductive.

Finally... make sure that whatever you do stays fun. If it ends up being something you hate, you'll burn out and quit sooner or later. Unless of course you're much more motivated than my extremely lazy self! Keeping the fun in whatever you do tho is the key to survival I've found. Get a gym partner, or join a bicycle club or whatever, but make it fun :)

All the best!
Aaron

"As far as anerobic excercises to boost metabolizim, anything that puts your muscles in need of repair should accomplish this. Even the extended aerobic excercises will do this to some extent. I personally use weightlifting to accomplish exactly that."

Those same muscles are also going to require additional O2 though. I assume the gym work is designed to strengthen without adding too much bulk, yes?

Noel said:
Those same muscles are also going to require additional O2 though. I assume the gym work is designed to strengthen without adding too much bulk, yes?

Exactly. Lots of reps, low weight. A little additional muscle mass shouldn't hurt too much though as I believe vasoconstriction should limit blood flow to non-critical areas. (i.e. muscles) Just my thoughts however!! Many people would discourage building muscle mass or aerobic capacity as they feel it will negatively affect freediving. They may be correct. From a fat burning perspective though anything to boost metabolism should be good.

Aaron

I didnt read the other responses but here's my .02: The best way to burn fat is to do medium aerobic exercise for extended periods. I use a heart rate monitor and I consider it the most valuable tool I have for exercise. I would read the book Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman. He has the world record in the 1000 mile foot race and has run from san diego to washington dc in 56 days (56 or so). He has a great and simple strategy for running and burning fat in the process. G-luck!

I just saw another post about lifting lots of reps, low weight. I am a HUGE fan of this. You don't even need weights; try doing pushups and pullups everyday for example.

I know a way of loosing weight that is guaranteed to work. Several years ago I watched a program on TV about one of the Nazi concentration camps. I observed in all the photos of prisoners, none had a weight problem. All looked very thin. I am lead to believe they had very little to eat, and this was the reason for their lack of fat.

Conclusion - fat results from eating too much. A starvation diet will help anyone loose weight, even with minimal exercise. So if you eat very little, it doesn't matter whether diving helps you burn lots or few calories, you will loose weight (fat).

All that fast twitch exercise has worn me out. I'm off to the cupboard to get some chips.

Eating less is a good point, but you still need to eat healthy. Except calories your body consumes lots of other stuff that cannot be synthesized by breaking down fat. No point in prioritizing losing weight above your health, otherwise you can just cut it out with a knife.

Not eating is not the way to go! You can mess up your motabolism. Like me, I started to put on weight. Eat smaller balanced portions.
I'm really new to this weight thing. But since I quit smoking wow! Old age and
eating is a new challenge. The best way to lose weight I have found is to lift weights 3 days a week and aerobics 3 days, Sunday off. And eat a balanced
meals.

Now i have a new evil to overcome! Cappaccinooo!!

jim

This may sound like a bit of a no brainer, but I lost about 60 pounds in 3 months by swimming for distance. I just got in the pool, did 4000 meters every morning and it melted off.
Cheers,
-mark

I have had the same problem for the past few years due to getting older (near 40) my metabolism slowing down and sitting behind a computer for a job.
I play Water Polo In summer and find shedding my winter kilos getting harder.
But i have found my secret is , Have less food going in for the amount of excersise you do, dont eat heaps of Carbs and increase your protein intack
If you like swimming its good for overall fitness and i find the fitter i get the more strokes i can do per breath ( can get up to 8 ) this also helps with my free diving bottom time
Only do Freestyle and dont do allot of sprints . Increase you distance every week till you can do about 3 - 4000 metres easly.
Start with a 1000 m warm up and break down to 400m 200m 100m and some 50 sprints at the end
Every body reacts differently to excersize i cant run out of sight on a dark night but can swim 3ks easly so find what you are good at and enjoy and push it as far as you can
I have also started walking 5ks every morning its helping keep the fat off heaps
One last one i find eating a coulpe of Sugar type lollies in the morning keep my metabolism up

Good luck Crusty

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT