• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Two spearos one float?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andy Rowland

May 5, 2017
Hi all,
I'm heading over from uk to Australia in October hoping to do plenty of spearfishing. I've managed to pick up a Beuchat pluma float here for a fraction of the price it would cost me in Australia. The question is, if me and my dive buddy have separate float lines can we hook up to the same float? Are there any dangers in this?
If we dive one up one down I can't see a problem, what do you guys think?
Cheers
Andy

Depends on how you rig it, and whether only one or both of you will have a line. If you both have your own seperate lines attached to the same float you will spend more time untangling rather than in the water. Might I add, thats more lines in the water and more of a hazard to the both of you. At the end of the day no amount of money can buy safety and it would be a better idea to buy a second float than increase the risk by using one. However if your stern on using one float id recommend using one line. You could easily set it up to where you and your buddy and switch off so the one going down can use the line and the one on the top can do as he normally would. To conclude, I'd recommend you share one line and switch off, two lines would make for a hectic deep water untangling.

One (large) dive float between 2 spearos diving together sounds fine to me - but I would not use 2 float-lines. Just use one float-line.
And, if you are planning to dive that close together, perhaps it be safer to take it in turns: 1 up & 1 down.

If you shop around, you can buy decent single-skin inflatable dive buoys quite cheaply (around £10-£20, sometimes less) and quite nice big, name brand, "bladder in orange shell" ones for little more. They pack up small, are light and are easy to carry. A lot of new spearos overlook this tried and tested, cheap & cheerful option - which are often used by top competition spearos. As you already have one "boat float", which you are happy to share, why not pick-up a cheap torpedo float for the other diver? That way you might get some of the benefits of both options and a chance to "compare & contrast".

What do plan to use your float for? It will typically server several purposes, such as some of these:

- Warns others (esp. boats) that there are divers present. So it should fly the appropriate Diver flag for your area, with ballast to keep the flag mast upright &, if necessary, wire to keep it unfurled i.e. visible. This is for your safety.

- To attach your float-stringer to, to hold some or all of your catch (alternatives inc. cut-able waist stringer or fish box for sharky waters).

- To carry a small amount of gear (e.g. water/whistle/torch/phone/radio/...).

- As an attachment point for your float-line. At the other end, the float-line might be attached to:
  • the butt of your speargun, to avoid loss
  • your spear-line via a breakaway-rig, to allow you to detach from large game fish and "play" they via floats, bungees and lines
  • a small anchor, lead weight or "kelp-clip" to allow it to used as a marker to diver around
  • to a ring on the diver's quick-release weight belt (presumably to help keep track of the down diver and/or aid recovery of the weight belt if it needs to be release)

Mate, search for USFA web site & have a look around. This should give you a few of the basics on rigs, floats & flags for down here & also some info "one up one down" type diving ( we are having a seperate state titles just on pairs spearfishing this year, I think the prise pool for the entire fishing "bonanza" is up to $80 000 already), as well as contacts for the four spearfishing clubs in Sydney. The next comp between the four clubs is at Long Reef on the first sunday in Sept, we start at 8am & weigh in at 1pm, if you are in Sydney & a keen spearo you could do a lot worse than turn up & say G'day.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT