• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

U/w Hockey Masks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
What are people wearing for under water hockey masks?

I have been using my Sphera, but caught a puck in the face last night and the lens popped out cutting my cheek- but I stopped the puck!:blackeye

I am not sure if it was good because the lens popped out, vs. breaking if I had been wearing a glass lens mask, or bad.

The black-eye is gone and the cut should heal up fine in the next couple of days.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Last edited:
:crutch

Boy.....you ain't priddy... :hmm

Superocchio - can't beat em, and I'll bet you used to use one. Did you ever get the glass broken? I never did, and I 'caught' plenty of pucks in the eye.....

I have a Falco that I used to wear, but switched to my Sphera for better field of view. I also wanted to keep my Falco in good shape for my normal freediving/spearfishing.

I haven't broken a lens, but another guy that I play with shattered his mask a few years ago. He was wearing a larger mask, like something you would use for scuba diving, when it happend. The hole face-plate just cracked like a windshield.

Does the smaller size of the Occhio make the lens stronger, as compared to the larger lens found in full size dive masks? If so, then I might have to switch.

Jon

I've seen 2 masks shatter in games before, and they were both big scuba one-lense jobs. The superocchio has such a small diameter on the lenses, coupled with a high ridge and shock absorbing structure that it is almost imposible for the puck to touch the glass, and if it does it is usally deflected off the frame first and so the shock is damped.

Give it a bash. I know lots of people who have tried the sphera but have gone back to an Occhio/Abyss/Target/Samourai etc.

I think the Occhio and AByss are the best all round as they have stiffer skirts and the abyss has a more solid frame too.

I guess I might break down and pick up an Abyss. I tried one out last time I payed hockey with the Milwaukee group and almost bought one then. At the time I didn't see the need to add, yet another, mask to my collection, butI guess it really would be worth having an extra mask if it can handle the abuse.

Jon

UWR mask

This is what I looked like after a good UWB (underwater-rugby) match:

(SORRY, picture no longer available!)

After two or three kicks to the head and a good hit from the goalies elbow I was done, but my Superocchio was still just fine. Only thing that happened to my mask was that this thing that connects the strap to the frame (sorry for my english) got loose. I just popped it back in and I would have been good to go (except for the swollen nose and so on) .

Alot of UWR players use Occhio because it takes a hell of a beating!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Thanks for all of the input!:)

I tried one of Ted's Super Occhios and ended up buying myself an OMER Abyss yesterday. I tried it out playing hockey last night and used it to swim some laps with in the pool this morning. It has now become my new favorite mask.

I noticed last weekend that I get a better seal with it when wearing my 'ice cap' under my wetsuit for winter diving. My previous spearing mask, an Aqualung Falco, ended up leaking on me where this things seals up nice. I used to think this was just one of the trade-off's of wearing an ice cap, but I now know this isn't true.

The OMER, Cressi, and my old Picasso Nulla all look the same, but they don't fit the same. The OMER silicone is a bit softer than the Cressi's and just makes a better seal on my face. My Piccaso looks identical, but the mask just doesn't seal.:(

When comparing the Cressi/OMER to my Falco I did notice some loss of visability at the top portion of the mask; however, the bottom part of the mask actually has a wider field of vison to it and I can see much further up my chest when looking at my feet- that's how I test a mask's field of view, by counting how many shirt buttons up I can see while wearing different masks. This was a very pleasant surprise.

I will still keep the Sphera for deep diving , but the Abysss is my new mask for everything else. I suddenly have a bunch of masks to get rid of.;)

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT