• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UAE Spearfishing/Freediving Trip 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

I am interested in a spearing trip in the UAE

• Total voters
i am balls to the wall this week, but will put together a proposed agenda (including courses by Emma Farrell) ;) next week.

I've just moved to Dubai (though have been in the Gulf for a while) and would be up for this trip, and/or any others.
I've never speared b4, just dived, but it looks fun and I'm keen to start - any tips for a newbie in Dubai appreciated.
Thanks
M
PS Have dived UAE for several years and was amazed at the mention of 40m viz.....best I've ever seen was half this! Do tell where!

I've just moved to Dubai (though have been in the Gulf for a while) and would be up for this trip, and/or any others.
I've never speared b4, just dived, but it looks fun and I'm keen to start - any tips for a newbie in Dubai appreciated.
Thanks
M
PS Have dived UAE for several years and was amazed at the mention of 40m viz.....best I've ever seen was half this! Do tell where!

hey there, the vis was where the Anita wreck is, will ask for coordinates, very deep water though (92metres) and surrounded by Iranian oil tankers:confused:

oh i love living here :D always an exciting moment, especially as i lost my top that day and it was a big scramble to get it back on what with being surrounded by interested onlookers rofl

hey Sara can you answer this :
1. what are the exact laws in Dubai for spearfishing
2. what are the exact laws in Sharjah for spearfishing
3. what about over on the east coast i.e. Khorfakkan, fujeirah, thanks a lot :)
talk to you soon

Having read through the Min Of Env document, the only mention of spear gun use being banned is when using compressed air - ie scuba diving

Article (52)
It is forbidden for diving hobbyists to:

5- Use fishing guns while using diving equipments (compressed
oxygen).

So looks OK for freediving spearos.
However, the document also states (Article 45)that

It is forbidden to... possess...atheistic materials used for fishing

So ensure your speargun is of the true believer type! :t

However, the document also states (Article 45)that

It is forbidden to... possess...atheistic materials used for fishing

So ensure your speargun is of the true believer type! :t

rofl rofl

My guns are born again....

Reactions: foxfish
Guys/gals

I haven't forgotten this. I have contacted the yacht owner and he is happy to know you are coming over.

I am still a little tied up at work :t but promise to get something up soon.

ooh dont say that mate i dont think Sara will take to that too kindly! thanks a lot for your help, i read that in another article that freediving is ok with guns, thank god thats what i do!
thanks again!

hey i know arent these fish amazing! I have this guy added on my msn Sara seems like a really nice guy.. my uncle who used to live here in Dubai a while back is possibly coming out in christmas time.. he was an avid spearo the one i was talking about. hopiong he will take me out to some of his old spots :D

hey i know arent these fish amazing! I have this guy added on my msn Sara seems like a really nice guy.. my uncle who used to live here in Dubai a while back is possibly coming out in christmas time.. he was an avid spearo the one i was talking about. hopiong he will take me out to some of his old spots :D

that's cool jonny.

so how was Blighty? Rather you than me i must say. i am going over there in October for a wedding, i have a feeling i am going to freeze my br3sts off!

ah it was ok.. foun out some bad news in the last week so that has been annoying, but weather seems to be brightening up.. just as we leave! yeah october will be chilly! have fun! XD

Hi people,

Looking for people who are interested in hooking up a spearfishing trip sometime soon.
I've been diving in the waters off dubai's shores for about 5 years now. Unfortunately, have only managed to get to places that are about 10 m deep at most and so have not yet experienced fishing in open water. Mostly go off the Dubai Dry Docks, Port Rashid, Jebel Ali, The Palm etc.

Biggest fish shot was a 15 kg Hamour just getting onto the Palm Jumeirah. Other wise usually nail groupers that are about 5 kgs. Some snapper, Sweet lips, Barracuda etc. Nothing major but would like to try some new areas. Haven't been much to the east coast but i would assume its much better there. Plus, the vis around the Palm and off dubai's coast is pretty bad!

Any advice?

Do you own a boat? I know lots of spearos in Dubai who are always keen to go out on a trip.

Hi people,

Looking for people who are interested in hooking up a spearfishing trip sometime soon.
I've been diving in the waters off dubai's shores for about 5 years now. Unfortunately, have only managed to get to places that are about 10 m deep at most and so have not yet experienced fishing in open water. Mostly go off the Dubai Dry Docks, Port Rashid, Jebel Ali, The Palm etc.

Biggest fish shot was a 15 kg Hamour just getting onto the Palm Jumeirah. Other wise usually nail groupers that are about 5 kgs. Some snapper, Sweet lips, Barracuda etc. Nothing major but would like to try some new areas. Haven't been much to the east coast but i would assume its much better there. Plus, the vis around the Palm and off dubai's coast is pretty bad!

Any advice?

Hi Sara,

Just been chatting to Ali..eh...yeah thats the issue. I don't own a boat. If i did i would love to srot out a trip and take people etc. I usually swim out to the Palm Jumeirah or swim off the jebel ali hotel to reef's etc in that area and have to make do with water depths of 6-10 m if that.

i just sent you a mail. I can manage to hold my breath for about 1.15 mins but thats pretty crap. Its good enough for the depth we are at though. I don't spear fish with weight belts etc but i will start doing so. At this depth its not needed but i would love to do something deeper.

A friend has a boat and its constantly in the work shop or there is something wrong at some point. Only managed to take it out a few times and that too was for conventional fishing trips.

I'm looking into buying myself a 4 m inflatable boat/dingy with a small 15-20 bhp engine. It's not too much but will do the job. Possibly by next year.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT