• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK Devon Plymouth

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freedivingtom

Mar 21, 2005
Hey all,
Its been a while since I have been on this forum but thought it may be of use to find people around the plymouth UK area who are into there freediving. I did a little freediving up in Bewdley with a friend in a pool, doing dynamic, static and general swimming techniques. I loved it, the fitness levels were good and it felt great. I would like to do the same again can anyone out there help. I am 26 and at plymouth uni, unfortunately they dont have a freediving club :(

Hi Tom

Do you live in Plymouth? or are you just down during uni term times? I am at Leicester during term time but would be well up for having a buddy to freedive with when i'm back, I don't live in Plymouth but near and will happily travel.

Cheers,

Ben.

Good to see there is someone around. Yeah I do need an excuse to start again I just never manage to kick my own butt to be honest. I am in plymouth all round, at college during term time and work on the mount batten ferry in my off time/hols. You on msn, yahoo, aim? would be good to talk freediving, pm me if you do.

Hey Tom,

I'm at Plymouth Uni too. Been looking for a few people to head out spearfishing and freediving.

It's still a bit murkey and cold out there but we could set up some pool training sessions or something till the water clears up.

Give us a shout on the uni e-mail. You'll find me at Peter Reid under school of engineering.

Let me know what you think.

Peter.

hello there... I'm in Totnes. I'm just buying my kit to go spearing with... keen to have some company as I'm a complete novice. Any chance of meeting up now it's getting warmer. (I was out the other day in my trunks on a waveboard and it's not so chilly out there).
Get in touch,
Doug

would be good to recruit more. I am at the moment arranging some spearing and training with one of the guys from the forum. were trying hard to find a place to pool train at mo. I still find it bloody freezing to go out at sea lol. Anyway do you want to pm me with your email or IM MSN etc so I can get in touch.

Hi there if your looking to recruit some more people,I may be up for it. Currently I live in Plymouth 6mths of the year due to work requirements down in Trinidad. just got myself a nice shinny new sit-on which will hit the water next month. Whats the water temp off Bovi/wembury at the moment 5mm wetsuit or more!!!!

5mm spearo suit will do fine for these waters, would'nt use a surf suit as you get to cold to quick.If its just for the sit on then a 5mm surf with a spray top will do

Last edited:
Tnx Scott 5mm it is just got to let the accounts department know and make sure she is happy with that!!

hey brit-tech, yeah your welcome to join me and pete. Waterbird also wants to meet up too. So you have a new stand up huh, I have a Yam GP1200R that I raz around weekly. Pete and I are hoping to use the ski to get out to mewstone and anchor off to spearfish. We went last week, really nice weather. Anyway thats in the pipeline to get out there and spearfish on ski. PM me if you have an msn,aim or yahoo to get in touch with :) would be good to have a more peeps to freedive/jetski with.

hey there.well got wet this weekend but nothing to shout about going out again 2mrrw whilst the wife sees the horses.doing rame head any good spots?

Afternoon all, im also from Plymouth and would love to meet a few more blokes who are into spearfishing and freediving. Im a complete novice but keen as mustard :) up until recently i've been diving in a 3 mm summer shorty, bloody cold! but i've just bought myself a 5mm Omer suit what a difference, its almost like swimming in the med.

I've so far borrowed and used, beauchat and picasso guns off of friends and i'm just about to buy my own gun, i think im going to buy a 75 picasso. The picasso gun seems to be better balanced than the beauchat but then i know naff all about spearo to be honest:t Any recommendations?

Cheers Ian

Hey Ian,

I would reccomend a gun of around 50cm - 75cm. It's an ideal size for around here as it fairly rocky and undulating. Any larger and they become harder to move through the water for quick shots.

As for which make, it's up to you and which one you feel suits you better. Both beauchat and picasso are good guns but i'd side with the picasso.

Might be headed out some time soon with Tom and any one else who is interested. :)

My mobile is: 07754455201, give us a shout if you are headed out or if you want to organise an outing.

Have a good one,

Peter

yeah if anyone wants to go out with me or pete drop us a pm and will look forward to going out. I just bought a 6.5mm omer, nice and thick for all year round :)

Hey everyone. I just got here in Plymouth last Friday and I am looking at getting into the water. I brought all my gear with me and am ready to dive.

Give me a call if you want, 07942 345203

Thanks,
Morgan

Guys
Just spotted this thread. I'm a gp in plymouth and a keen spearo but not an expert. For pool training the octopush club train and play on tues nights at central park 9pm-10pm.
I usually spear solo and would love to learn freediving to a reasonable depth. i'm trying to persuade my wife to send me to the sett course for my birthday.

Hello,

I am a student here at Plymouth so always in town and got a fair deal of free time.
New to spearfishing but plenty keen and i'm good in the water. I've got all the kit i need (i think).
Looking to meet up with some people for hunts and join the local spearfishing posse.
I have no transport, but live in the Plym city centre, if that helps.

Post or IM me with details.

Ben

Hi Ben,
Sounds good, do you want to meet up sometime to sort out a dive, I have not been out once this year as I have not had the time or the peeps to go out with. I saw some people going off bovi beach so maybe shore wise thats the best bet. anyway if you want to contact me my msn is nutsdiver@hotmail.com or look me up in facebook under thomas wadsworth theres only one in plymouth fortunately.

Just seen this thread and was wondering where is best to go around Plymouth. I'm new to spearfishing and have been a few times back in Falmouth where I study. Like Ben I also have no transport and also live in the city centre but it would be good to meet up with people if anyone's about or just to get some advice and local knowledge!

Cheers,

James

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT