• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ultrabreathe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rémi

Jul 19, 2004
Hello everyone.
as anyone already been using this toy for training: http://www.ultrabreathe.com/ubintro.htm
It looks like it makes your respiratory muscles stronger.
I am wondering if that can also increase your maximum lung volume. :)
Do you think this would be any good for freediving?

Seems to me like another powerlung, you can search on DB main page for the article about it or search here in the forums for more information and opinions.

Hi Remi
I have a powerlung - bit like this.

Will bring it at the weekend and if you want to borrow it for a while you are welcome. I never used it regularly enough for it to make a difference to me

Sam

Has anyone ever heard of or used a Powerbreathe (see www.powerbreathe.com)? It looks like a similar device but more expensive (Australian $130-150, approx 50 uk pounds - I think the ultrabreath is around 16 pounds).
Would be interested in hearing peoples testimonials on either.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi Remi!

I use a similar device call expand-a-lung!

I'm very pleased with it and I feel it has helped me!

by the way it cost me about 25$ us dollars!

Here is a picture of the expand-a-lung

I baught it at a local dive stro for about 25-30$

Attachments

• expandalung.jpg
    expandalung.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 472
Wich one? Metsulot?

I have no plans of purchasing one yet, but it's good to know those things are around...

From what I read they are all about the same since they work on the same method!
I have the expand a lung and a friend of mine has the powerlung and they are nearly the same thing!

just buy what is found in your dive shop and the cheapest one!

I heard that the Ultrabreathe has an adjustment on it that you can change the resistance on exhaling also. Does the expand-a-lung have something like that?

Hi,
I've never seen any of these devices; do they just increase the breathing resistance ? I've heard of the practice of partially sealing the snorkel with tape (it seems to be used in monofin training). Okay, it's a low-tech solution :eek: , but shouldn't it basically have the same effect (but a lot cheaper) or am I getting something wrong ?

Thanks,

Veronika

Last edited:
Originally posted by BennyB
Has anyone ever heard of or used a Powerbreathe (see www.powerbreathe.com)?
I have a Powerbreathe - I haven't bothered to use it for ages, but it might be useful for strengthening the breathing muscles. I haven't tried any other make, so it would be difficult for me to compare them.

Lucia

Originally posted by Veronika
I've never seen any of these devices; do they just increase the breathing resistance ? I've heard of the practice of partially sealing the snorkel with tape (it seems to be used in monofin training). Okay, it's a low-tech solution :eek: , but shouldn't it basically have the same effect (but a lot cheaper) or am I getting something wrong ?
Yup, all they do is put resistance to your breathing, I'm not sure if all of them work both ways (inhale/exhale). Some people use a drinking straw :). Never heard of the tape and snorkel, that might be really good for finswimmers (or normal swimmers or anyone that does aerobic type sports).
For freediving, I'm not sure we really need all that stuff...
We need lung capacity and breathing muscle felxibilty.
A total beginner using one of those might learn how to breath right, but I'm not sure how much those devices help with frequent usage.

A cheap substitute for all those devices is to use a straw!

yes a straw! you just take a straw like the ones you drink your soda's with and you breath throught it when the straw is in your mouth not nose! :D

Its a great technique and it was taught to me by former WR holder Erez Beatus!

Reactions: subaquaticus
I´m agree with Lucia. This device only provide development to the torax muscles.

Freediver81 said:
A cheap substitute for all those devices is to use a straw!
yes a straw! you just take a straw like the ones you drink your soda's with and you breath throught it when the straw is in your mouth not nose! :D

Its a great technique and it was taught to me by former WR holder Erez Beatus!

thank you for the advice.. I'll give it a try !!

Who is Erez Beatus ? You already mentioned his name regarding the cheap nose-clip...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT