• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Umm, how do i swim?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hey all, super-newb here, and i got a dumb question. WHen you're descending and ascending, should you swim with legs together kicking like a dolphin, or should you use regular swimming kicks, left, right, left, right.....

I think whatever you feel comfortable with, I do the left right thing but my freind does it the dolphin way, try both and see which you find most efficient.

I LIKE the dolphin more, but im better with the right left right left. I'm going to practice the dolphin this summer, it's lotsa fun too :)

If you like the dolphin kick more then consider getting a monofin as it is more efficient for that type of kick....and after all there is no such thing as too much gear:eek:

Andy
Sydney

This is what I would recommend:

Take the fins your normally dive with and go to the swimming pool. With the fins on, dive as fast as possible, one length of the pool using freestyle kick and, after a full rest, one length using dolfin kick. Measure both your timing and your pulse rate (per 10 or 15 seconds) after each dive. So you will know which kick is faster and which is more energy efficient. Under real diving conditions use faster kick when speed is most important (like reaching the surface when out of breath) and use more efficient kick when doing some distance diving/swimming.

From my experience in short bursts dolfin kick is faster because one fin does not get in the other fin's way but a freestyle kick is more energy efficient for a distance swimming/diving. Also dolfin kick puts more strain on your abdomen muscles.

Last edited:
I wish i had the money for the monofin! I still need to save another $150 just for my wetsuit, mask, fins, socks, weight belt and weights, and float. After that maybe i can get a monofin :) Plus i have to convince the parentals that diving is great, they aren't exactly thrilled about it. Right now i'm using some U.S. Divers snorkeling stuff and a 3mm shorty. I don't even have a weight belt, so i can't really dive with the wetsuit yet either. I made a modified one that works somewhat decent, but it moves around a lot. Anyhow, i think i'm going to work on the dolphin kick for quick dives, and i'll stick to the free kick for longer dives.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT