• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Under my wetsuit....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MermaidQueen

Aug 3, 2016
Hi guys, I have raynauds and find I get very cold very quickly under the water even in my 5/6mm wetsuit. A friend suggested some leggings underneath but I can't find any that aren't too long! Is there anything else I could wear underneath as a bit of extra warmth that isn't a full base layer?? I have an excellent thermal top but the company I bought it from doesn't do bottoms.

Hi, I know will probably get a lot of heat for this suggestion but I would look into getting a two piece spearfishing hooded wetsuit that is unlined on the inside or more widely known in the industry an open cell wetsuit. To further explain, the outer side is usually a strong jersey material for protection and the inner material is raw neoprene which sticks to your body like a second skin, moves with you, and doesn't allow any water to penetrate.

I purchased a 3mm and found it to be as warm as my bulky 7mm semi-dry scuba suit. As an added benefit, these spearfishing or freediving suits are much more thinner and flexible. The only downside is you have to use a mix of unscented hair conditioner and water to get into the suit itself but taking it off is very easy so it's a minor inconvenience. Plus, the hair conditioner mix conditions the suit and makes it smell and feel wonderful on your bare skin. I speak from personal experience as an AOW/Nitrox diver and wouldn't go back to a regular scuba suit. [emoji6]

Here's some pictures of them. I like the high pants vs the farmer john style but the latter will be warmer. Freedivers and spearfisherman are in the water usually much longer than scuba divers.

Anyway, hope this helps!

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Rob-Allen-Dual-Camo-Wetsuit.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/psrbn.xmcnq/v/vspfiles/photos/M2YRCW-1.jpg?1438327635

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know a lot of old school folk that swear by ladies tights/stockings/pantyhose ...seriously!!!

Hi, I know will probably get a lot of heat for this suggestion but I would look into getting a two piece spearfishing hooded wetsuit that is unlined on the inside or more widely known in the industry an open cell wetsuit. To further explain, the outer side is usually a strong jersey material for protection and the inner material is raw neoprene which sticks to your body like a second skin, moves with you, and doesn't allow any water to penetrate.

I purchased a 3mm and found it to be as warm as my bulky 7mm semi-dry scuba suit. As an added benefit, these spearfishing or freediving suits are much more thinner and flexible. The only downside is you have to use a mix of unscented hair conditioner and water to get into the suit itself but taking it off is very easy so it's a minor inconvenience. Plus, the hair conditioner mix conditions the suit and makes it smell and feel wonderful on your bare skin. I speak from personal experience as an AOW/Nitrox diver and wouldn't go back to a regular scuba suit. [emoji6]

Here's some pictures of them. I like the high pants vs the farmer john style but the latter will be warmer. Freedivers and spearfisherman are in the water usually much longer than scuba divers.

Anyway, hope this helps!

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Rob-Allen-Dual-Camo-Wetsuit.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/psrbn.xmcnq/v/vspfiles/photos/M2YRCW-1.jpg?1438327635

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
I have a 3mm and a 5.5mm open cell that I use for freediving and also scuba. Read reviews from people that use them for both. I use my 5.5 down into the upper 40s and I'm fine for 3 hours in the water. It's the getting out... ;)

Try a Lycra its a one piece something like lady's nylons it will keep you warmer also wear a hooded vest on top of the Lycra then your wet suit. I wear this in 48 Deg water with a 7 mm and I'm nice and warm.

Elios sell a thin neoprene vest. I recall that it was expensive though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT