• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Undercurrants is NOT the Consumer Reports of Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Russ

Nov 13, 2000
I have taken issue with everyone who has made a comparison between Consumer Reports (CR) and Undercurrents.

There is a big, big difference between the two. CR has a reputable staff and does not print hearsay from anonymous sources. When some one says something anonymously about a resort or other dive operation you know nothing about their diving ability or experience.

Some on who has only done ‘mud hole’ diving in the mid west may be really impressed by their first open water, salt water dive while an experienced salt water diver may think the operation is ‘Ho Hum’ yet, Undercurrents will print a glowing review.

On the other side of the coin someone who goes during low season may complain about the visibility and never mention they were willing to sacrifice vis for bucks.

I have seen a lot of good dive operations trashed in Undercurrents and some bad ones praised.

Until Undercurrents at least has the courage to get, and post a profile (not a name) of a diver who is rating a dive operation and the time of year they are reporting on I can’t see how anyone could compare them to CR.

Did they pay you for this advertising?

Russ

News is News

Russ,

Let me start off by saying that we have not accepted any advertising from Undercurrent. And even if we had done, our advertisers are not allowed to dictate editorial policy - we would rather not accept the money than be forced into reporting something.

On the subject of Undercurrent, you are refering to the news item we placed on Deeper Blue News [ http://news.deeperblue.net ] last week...

The news item was there to inform people about Undercurrent and their new look website, in retrospect I suppose it could read as an advert but the reason is we took their own desciption to appear in the item.

Undercurrent does follow the idea of a Consumer Reporting model, and they have a large following, but like any organisation that allows for "anonymous" posting of trip/resort reports, the danger is there in trying to keep the validity of the reports.

Although I do have to say that I am impressed at how they have turned the "free" trip reports and reviews freely available on the Internet into a business (albeit a long running one).

We have no affiliation to Undercurrent and all we were doing is giving you details of something that may be of use to you...because in actual fact Undercurrent could be seen as a major competitor to Deeper Blue.

from a subscriber to undercurrent

I've been a subscriber to undercurrent for years, Its always been informative. Most advertising based mags never say anything bad in fear of losing revenues- how many articles has Skin Diver done about Ocean Divers in Key Largo with out mentioning any of the other great operators there.
Anyway, you can't believe everything you read, even from Undercurrent, so I consider it as a research tool. When I'm planning a trip its a good starting place, but there's no substitute for talking to a dive operator and seeing how they run their trips, what kiond of divers they cater to, ect... . These things can change day to day for smaller operators.
If you have the nerve theres' nothing like going on a trip with only the 1st night's lodging booked so you can ck around, find a good deal on a room and ck out the local shops to pick an operator whose right for you. I'd rather start with Undercurrent' reccomendations than with no direction at all.
Undercurrent also has interesting features about dive products and safety issues, but keep in mind that if I cant be out diving I'd just as soon be reading about it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT