• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underice freediving trip -video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mortenkv

Jan 14, 2008
Hi Freedivers,
Wanted to share with you a nice under-ice afternoon from Denmark.
They crayfish caught is an invasive species - and we really felt how we did mother-nature a service by removing them from the lake and placing them in our stomach :)

Morten Villadsen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: podge and Jon
Cool Video Morten! - VERY cool :D

Can you describe the taste?

Nice one Morten, it gives my sprit a lift to know that there’s at least a few crazy people left out there.:):):)
I bet the Cray’s tasted great especially after the effort that went into getting them.:p:p

The taste is close to the taste of warmwatershrimps... Thanks for the comments ;) Really good with Garlic and Chili
Morten

Morten I have no idea what you were saying, but the film was good, put a shiver up my spine just watching those blokes jumping in without a stitch on.
Well done that man.:)

Nice video Morton.

From what I can make out of the Danish, being Dutch and speaking some German, it's a general report about wintertime in Danmark. The guy with the drill was reporting a thickness of 9 cm (3 3/5 inch) later on saying 11 cm (4 2/5 inch).

I especially like the last shot with Morten and the girl :)

Morten what did you say on camera in this tv-report?

Love, Courage and warm water!

I said:

When there is ice, you have to be aware that you can relocate your entryhole. That I dive with a safetydiver and use a rope as guideline. That the ice makes all the water quiet and calm and makes it possible to stand upside down underneath the ice. The last comment form my girlfriend Astrid and me is that now we are going home since we are cold...

A bit more info on my blog:
Morten Villadsen - So much water, so little time...

Morten

Ahhh, creyfish... Morten, we must really get together some day soon with your cousin Kristian who is also a very good friend of mine (small country, eh? ;-). I would like to meet you and try some of that good looking cooking of yours :p

Had my first underice-diving experience yesterday... WOW, really beautiful! Black air bobbles underneath and how it seems like you can see kilometers into the ice when looking through the edge of the hole! Being down there is like being in a world where the direction of gravity is inverted.

Skanderborg sø has around 30 cm of ice at the moment, a rare thing in Denmark, so we couldn´t let that opportunity pass.
Went out together with a bunch of scuba divers and N.O.W Dive from Skanderborg where Ben Bos, the owner of N.O.W (in the water on first pic) stirred the arrangement and safety with a very competent and firm hand.

We set up a 50 meter "runway" with 3 holes spaced by 25 meters (took 3 chainsaw chains to make them). Between the holes there was a tight guiding rope to which we hooked our lanyards. This proved super important since the holes were almost invisible, like a vague reflexion in a piece of glass, when diving very close to the ice, and because of the visibility of only 3 meters.
Under the ice was also 2 safety scuba divers per 25 meters, so safety was really super. I had a small problem during my first dive with mask-leaking and my legs getting entangled in the crap lanyard I used, and immediately one of the safety divers were there offering his octopus to me (which I politely declined with an OK sign and a smile and "horizontally free immersioned" my way to the hole).

Kurt L (with the towel on first pic) did a nice 50 meter DYN dive, and of course Stig S (blue jacket to the left on first pic) finished off the day with a viking style dive only wearing speedos and mask, braaaa :blackeye But as always he was a big smile, when he got out of the water despite the instant ice cover on him.

A super day for both Kurt L, Stig S, Henrik B, the scuba divers and I with a lot of happy and tired smiles, when we said goodbye after the barbecue back in at N.O.W Dive.

Attachments

• Icedive1_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    Icedive1_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Icedive2_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    Icedive2_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Icedive3_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    Icedive3_copyright-Herup-2010.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 190
30cm! wow, that's much, so much for man made global warming, I'll put up the termostat :D

I hope you guys did rediscover your manly hood under a warm shower after the event, I think I'll need a 7mm suit at least to enjoy this experience, and then it only be short lived I'm afraid! How was the wind? Hats off for you crazy Scandinavians! Did Stig do a 50m DNF without suit there???

I see there was a camera dude there to, can we expect some video report shortly?

Thanks!

Kars

Hi Kars.

Being in the water was the warm part of the event. Being out of the water and especially afterwards was a little more "stiff". But with a hot water heat pad tucked into the elios on the belly helped a lot (and made me look very pregnant).
Yes there was several camera dudes both in and our of the water (maybe we get to say a lot of stupid things on national television later this year ;-). I will try to see if i can get my sticky fingers on some of the underwater footage, but there were only around 3 m visibility, so my hopes regarding spectacularity are not too high.

Very best regards.
H!

Here in the North The Frozen Freediver is a typical rescue case if a freediver hasn't been quick enough on the surface. You must plan how to cut him off from the ice with a chain saw - without accidental amputations:

P2280167.jpg

Click the Dailymotion link text in the box below to see the video:

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcf2xk_a-frozen-freediver_sport"]Dailymotion - A Frozen Freediver ;) - a Sports & Extreme video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video[/ame]

;)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT