• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

underwater contact lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fatboyjim

Aug 28, 2002
under water contact lenses

( I mean the ones designed for diving without a mask)

Hannah Stacey is having a set made for some underwater film work and is trying to find out some more about them.

As I understand there are two types...soft and hard?

do they stay in place on bare eye or is a water filled mask/ googles needed to protect them?

Has anyone ever used them or knows of anyone who has?

any info would be good .....thanks

Last edited:
oops I guess it should have gone in under equipment
maybe you can shift it over ?

i seem to remember Fred Buyle had a pair.... try asking him about them.

Here is what I heard:
- Hard contacts allow perfect vision -- they stay in place, but they hurt the eyes during use, and for days afterwards
- Soft contacts allow near perfect vision, but slide around easily, resulting in blindness. They are more comfortable

Normally people use goggles outside of them to make sure they don't get lost, but in Hannah's case there would be no point in using goggles (otherwise she could just use fluid goggles which would be cheaper anyway).

Pelizzari did his constant weight records with soft contacts, without any goggles.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT