• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater fin surfing...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Noa, Anyone,

Any interest in taking over the subsurfing page?

http://subsurfing.michaelrienstra.com/

I can handle updating it, albeit probably sporadically.

I'm just not at all involved in this activity personally -- maybe if I spend a lot of time somewhere else I'll give it another go.

Basically, I just noticed the domain name ( http://subsurfing.com/ -- temporarily still working) expired, so I figured it was high-time to put it out there that any motivate parties are more than welcome to step in... If someone / the community feels like keeping the domain name would be worthwhile, we'd need to cough up a few buck to hold onto it.

FYI, Bob got in touch with me, I can pass that info on to anyone who is interested.

It is fun, particularly with longer wavelength waves so you aren't dropped off after a short ride. Sometimes there is even fairly good visibility adding a lot to the experience. One problem I have had is losing fins though in breaking waves. Some good fin keepers might help.

Noa, Anyone,

Any interest in taking over the subsurfing page?

Subsurfing / Underwater Bodysurfing / Dolfining / Dolphin Surfing

I can handle updating it, albeit probably sporadically.

I'm just not at all involved in this activity personally -- maybe if I spend a lot of time somewhere else I'll give it another go.

Basically, I just noticed the domain name ( subsurfing.com -- temporarily still working) expired, so I figured it was high-time to put it out there that any motivate parties are more than welcome to step in... If someone / the community feels like keeping the domain name would be worthwhile, we'd need to cough up a few buck to hold onto it.

FYI, Bob got in touch with me, I can pass that info on to anyone who is interested.

Just had a quick look, it seems that "every" quote on there is from DB, maybe ask to make the topic a DB subsection??

it somehow amazes how after all these years this thread still exists. sometimes it disappears but eventually always resurfaces ! too funny.
yeah, it would be great to have a website about it and i think that there had once been talk about a DB subsection like Reeftroll mentions.
having said that, after a super positive initial response here on DB that actually lasted quite some time, the subject eventually lost momentum. perhaps we should launch a poll to gage present interest and also allow the moderators to see if a subsection here would be worth it.
shoot some opinions and suggestions to see what we should make out of this...

A new movie comes out tonight that may be of interest as it overlaps elements of this thread,
"Keith Malloy’s "Come Hell Or High Water."

More at:
Torpedo People On The Big Screen - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

110712_BURKARD_76371.jpg

Wow! Hope it comes up to Canada. Would love to see it on a big screen.

I will download a copy of it once it goes online later next month. Connor if you are on the east coast when a good cold front is moving in preceded by strong NW winds, you should checkout Singer Island just north of the Palm Beach Inlet. That tends to bring glassy faced swells there. I have seen 4 to 6 ft. nicely formed swells with 40 ft.+ visibility there. Most places down here silt out in less. I would shoot for high tide to try to avoid tannin stained water out of the cut though. It is amazing to fly so fast in good viz.

The only venue listed in Canada so far is:
Sept 29-Oct.1
Halifax, Nova Scotia @ Canadian Surf Film Festival
Ticket Information: canadiansurffilmfestival.com

thanks for that Ricki.
i've seen a few few bits and pieces from this new movie on youtube. looks good indeed. very much looking forward to seeing the whole film when available for download.
keep gliding...

Thanks Ricki,

I body surf Juno as often as I can, gets big but vis is usually crap. will check out Singer Island. Last good surf was Katia last Wednesday, Wabasso, 5-7, glassy, very nice.

Connor

Hi,

Sounds great fun!

While freediving in the Caribbean I discovered a different kind of underwater surfing, while being towed along behind the dive boat at about 3-4 knots I guess, looking for dolphins. While still hanging onto the rope with one hand only you can do a sort of a duck dive, then level out at about 2m, with the rope just above you, and be pulled along effortlessly for as long as you can hold a static ... all the weightless fun with none of the effort! And because you weren't expending any energy, 2-3 minutes of underwater time was easy.

The way I found to adjust my depth and maintain it was to arch my back slightly to create a reverse hydrofoil, such that the bernoulli effect countered my positive buoyancy at a shallow depth. (I wore 1kg weight and no wetsuit.) Relax all other muscles and enjoy the ride!

I learned the trick off one of the diveboat crew, but it didn't seem to be something that everyone knew about. (She used it to take photographs one-handed while on the move.)

Any comments?

Tall Paul.

I have to say it looks really silly though. Of course I didn't realise this until the photographer in question posted a picture on my Facebook wall ...

Paul.

I have to say it looks really silly though. Of course I didn't realise this until the photographer in question posted a picture on my Facebook wall ...

Paul.

Now you're asking for it... post it up! rofl

Yes, if I can find it ...

[FX: realistic sounds of rummaging around on dusty hard drives ...]

Hey, I thought of a cool product to make, sort of a reverse hydrofoil that you can connect to a rope and just hold onto and relax your body (rather than maintain the arch you were talking about). Sort of like the opposite of foil surfing or those "air chairs"... water skiing underwater! ;-)

I'm into kitesurfing too... so combine that with a kite, and you've got wind-powered subsurfing! Would that be called subsucking? Of course it would be tricky to control your kite blind while slightly submerged. BUT... imagine if your foil device had controls, and you could generate speed and then do a full breach kite air!

Last edited:
It is an adaption of diving planes for scouting reefs, wrecks, contraband whatever. It works better with a board, even a danforth anchor (just don't drop it). You can get some depth just using your hand but I have found it more relaxing using a plane. You can really go static and relax as you say. One thing I have played around with is doing the same thing under kitesurfing kite power. Need to remember a mask with contacts in though.

Ha, what a coincidence.

Was thinking the same thing and so built one and tried it out last weekend. Was mostly looking for a device that would allow me to zoom along the seabed at about 10m looking for scallops. Used to do this no-fins - I guess I'm getting lazy!

Alloy foil section, 2m wingspan, seat harness to take the pull.

Seems to work pretty well, I'll need to get some video next time the vis is good and post it up.

Phil C
Auckland Freediving Club

did anyone get to see the new movie "Come hell or high water" ? i've only seen the preview and would love to hear how the whole movie is. especially as far as subgliding goes.
any advancement regarding a sub section on the DB for our sub chit chat ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT