• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater Hockey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lynn

monomaniac
Sep 5, 2001
Hi there,

Any people here who do Underwater Hockey? Stories please....!

A few years ago I was in a team, and I Loved the sport!
I played in a mens team for there wasn't a ladies team in my country and luckily for my poor bones the game became more strategic instead of the skull bashing it used to be in the old days. :)

It was good craic though, the skull-bashing; I got very good at dodging human torpedoes with hockey sticks ;)

Cheerio!

Lynn

Question

Sorry Lynn,
No stories yet. I just started playing. But I do have a question . . . where does one find UWH gear for sale on the net? I know folks usually make their own sticks and gloves, but where do you find caps, mouthguards and pucks?

Excellent question

I'm afraid I don't have a clue...

I trained with a DIY underwaterhockey team, we made our own goals, sticks and puck, used waterpolo caps we nicked from the waterpolo team at our local pond :) but no mouthguards; no boxing club nearby... (unfforffunately)

When I have the time I'll do some browsing and I'll drop you a line as soon as I've found something.

Cheers

Lynn

Thanks & new sticks!

Thanks Lynn, I found the sites informative.

You've probably seen this by now, but there is a new stick out made entirely of plastic <http://www.phvelenje.freeservers.com/polysticks.htm> They seem a bit pricey, especially with international shipping - about $40 each! - but they require no maintenance and don't wear out or break, supposedly.

Hi lynn,

Ive been playing uwh for the past year or soo now here in the Philippines.. Tried it for cross training for spearfishing but fell inlove the minute i hit my 1st goal.. Now im more active with uwh than diving :)

Jax

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

I used to play once or twice a week throughout the winter, but about 6 years ago I took a pretty big hit that really messed up my neck. I've tried rest, ice, yoga, physical therapy, mild traction and massive amounts of advil but it still bothers me when I ride a bike. My doctor and chiropractor both told em to give up the sport at that point. It was the only team sport that I've ever enjoyed playing, but it can get a bit rough.

I used to use a Sphera mask, but one time I was coming up the slope of the pool and caught a puck in the face. It hit my lens, popped it out, cut my face under my eye and left me with a nice shiner for a couple of days. One of the people on my team was a P.A. and she used some super glue to patch me up. Best line of the night was that no one would notice the scar because it happened to be right in the middle of a wrinkle!

One of the other guys on our team was in the Tool&Dye business and made us all of our own sticks. I used to make my own gloves with a hot glue gun. You can get water polo caps from and swimming supply store. The only thing I really needed to order was a decent puck. I remember there was some place in Canada that had them for around $40. I think we used moth guards off of hockey helmets that we taped onto our snorkels.

It was a fun way to stay in shape during the winter, but it can get out of control pretty fast.

Jon

Canamuwhgear.com has all of the essential gear and a good source of some decent stuff for freedivers as well.

I definitely recommend CanAm for any UWH gear you're after. He's got a great selection and he gets stuff over to you very quickly, even if you're over the other side of the Atlantic (like I am).

I've played hockey for over 20 years and have represented the UK at a World Championships (just the once mind you) but I've only started freediving recently. As training for freediving, hockey's definitely good for your recovery time, CO2 & Lactic tolerance and underwater manoeuverability, something that freedivers don't do! ;) It's also a lot more social than freediving. Granted you still can't talk while playing, but it's a shared experience in the pool you can have a laugh about afterwards.

Glad to see it's not just me that enjoys them both.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT