• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater Lamps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
What kind of lamps you guys have? Anyone have those Kowalski torches?? are they as good as they promise? For underwater photography is a GOOD U/W lamp nesessary?

Safe diving to you all!

Pekka

Torches

Hey Pekka,

I own an Underwater Kinetics HID 100 torch. They retail for about 200 clams, but I picked it up online for about 150 shipped. I've used 400 and 800 dollar lamps that my local diveshop let me borrow, and I've found that the UK HID 100 puts out just as much, if not more light than those expensive lamps. The downside is that it takes 8 C-cell batteries, so it may seem a little bulky to some divers. The pro to this light is that 1. It is HID, so the bulb burns for 1000 hours (much much much longer than halogen or xenon), it lasts 3-4 hours on 8 C cells (I bought rechargables since I would drain the light once a week during the summer months), and it burns so hot that the light is blue/purple/white. This of couse equates to better penetration in the water than the "cooler" halogen and xenon bulbs.

If you're looking for a "bang-for-the-buck" lamp, this is it.

Care to 'enlighten' us all as to where you found it for $150? Lobster season starts at the end of the month for us...

I use a Diverite wreck canister with a 10 watt HID light head. I have scout lights for back-up. Many of my friends use Extreme Exposure lights. They have this new one with an 18 watt light head (HID) and a NIMHI battery pack that is very small.
THe UK HID light cannons seem to be a pretty good deal for an HID light. THey should be $200 at full retail. A few people that I know have mentioned that they have had problems with them falling apart. Other friends swear by them and their small size.

Jon

Here ya go Mako.

http://www.leisurepro.com

Page 6 of the "lights" category. I buy all kinds of gear from these guys (if scubastore doesn't have it). Like scubastore, they have never done me wrong.

Have fun snatching lobsters....best I could do around here is a big crayfish :D .

The three most common lights for Underwater Work in the Gulf of Mexico are the Underwater Kinetics SL4, Ikelike, and the Pelican Super Saber lights. Routinely, these lights are subjected to extreme depth in excess of 300 feet. All operate on 3 or 4 c-cells and provide good illumination of the work area. Cheap also. Pricing ranges around $20.00 to $40.00. Unless you guys are talking about camera lights, in that case, my knowledge is only good for video systems that need lights.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT