• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Underwater Video - Gun Mounted

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Robbo66

Don't Mention Competitions
Jul 24, 2005
Hi,

I've been looking for a underwater video camers as used in the mpegs shown on the thread posted on the Spearo Board titled 20lb Bass, any idea what make they are and where I could get further info??. Much appreciated.

Rob

Yeah I would like to know as well?
Here is the bass

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about 20lb bass, but here is the camera mount on my Rob Allen 110cm railgun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/wolfzizic/SB/IMGP1680.jpg

Its made from railgun vertical reel mount bracket, that has been bent out to allow for camera to clear the barrel. Camera is 3.2 megapixel, takes stills or video. Waterproof to 125 feet. Camera sits slightly cocked to the inside, so that it centers on the muzzle and approximately where shaft is going to end up. See if you can make out the LCD screen to get the idea ... I'll try and post a quick photo and a quick video that camera takes shortly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/wolfzizic/SB/IMGP1683.jpg

Also, camera swivels to allow easier band loading. When bands are loaded, and camera back in position, outside/over band just slightly touches the corner of camera plastic housing .... but I think when fired it will not interfere with it. Contact is very slight when band is fully stretched. We'll see....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/wolfzizic/SB/IMGP1681.jpg

As for the bottom line release, I am planing to install small "L" bracket on the mount bolt, so that it "holds" the line out and away from the whole thing ... when line release drops it, it just drops out and away from the mount. Even tho it looks like it will work the way it sits now, I just want to prevent any possible tangles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/wolfzizic/SB/IMGP1684.jpg

Hope this helps

I like it!!! Now I feel inspired to build something like that! :)

That's a pretty sweet set-up with the reel mount.:)

Here's what I have been using. I had a friend make me the attachment bar to fit onto my wood gun and I can control the camera with my right hand while I manage the gun with my left- it helps that I am left handed.

I have since updated this set-up a little bit by moving to a much smaller camera with twice the mega pixels and a better video capture system. I just need to get around to taking pictures of it one of these days.

Jon

Last edited:
Jon, nice rig there man! On Euro gun like Rob Allen you can't mount it that far back due to the handle, and I am now spacing my camera out another inch away from the barrel/bands, so it doesnt get hit during firing. Weather has been shitty here with high seas and wind, so first time I get a chance to go freediving/hunting I will take some action shots/movies with the camera.

It'll be better to put this reply here:

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=619946&postcount=19"]http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=619946&postcount=19[/ame]

Thanks guys...all look like they'd work, but how the hell do you balance the gun for shooting ??....does the rig remian pretty much weightless at depth ??

Rob

Camera is sealed, so it has air in the container....on my gun you can't even feel it under water

Balance on the gun is fine- I don't even notice it.

What I HAVE noticed is the extra drag from my camera housing- PTO15. With my new, smaller, camera I hope to reduce that quite a bit. I am also having a friend shorten up the attachment bar to help with that. I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Jon

I, finally, got around to taking a few shots of my latest gun mount. I had the friend who made it for me shorten it up quite a bit, for less drag in the water, and rework the mount to fit this camera specifically.

The new camera housing is less than a third the size of my last one. The video quality is at least tiwce as good and the whole back is one big digital view finder- no optical one on this camera. I can hardly wait to try it out. :)

The last one worked alright but I am looking forward to using something much smaller and with a lot less drag.

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
That Ocean Images housing I am selling is because I plan to buy a Canon S80 and housing so I can build a gun mounted camera like these. "All you guys are my idols!!!" :eek:

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to design one to fit the Omer Reel mount. -( I hope you are getting the Canon housing - the Ikelite one looks clunky, too expensive and has less functionality.)

my what big bars you all have for mounting your little digital cams.
i AM thinking that the large flat, or squared off bar causes almost as much drag as the camera housing.
recently I mounted a rail mount for a laser for fun, but Im now curious how I can mate it to my Nikon 5600 sub housing (decent 5.1MP camera with Video/audio capability). I am hoping to capture the over the bands shot since it is the area of most action.
my gun has a small area behind the shooting meck for the camera, I just need to make a small adapter plate with the right screw for the housing mount. the biggest trick is pulling it off without making anymore holes than the Omer Cobra comes stock. so i am thinking a clamping bracket to the base of the handle or something similar.
it is good to see so many great ideas here.

what about a small subsurface head camera = less drag, better wide angle possibilities. and perhaps less obtrusive?

My first attempt was to mount the camera right on the butt of my gun. Of course it was a bg hassle every time I had to load the bands and I soon decided on mounting it off to the side. since the bar is made of aluminum it is very light and doesn't cause as much drag as the housing itself. My new, much smaller, housing will make it much eaiser to drag around.

There used to be something called a "Sea eye" that was a small camera, tube shaped, that was attached to a larger video recorder. the bulk of it could be strapped to a tank or worn around the waist. It was a much larger unit than anything we're putting together now, but there were a few videos put togther from it. It would be a nice idea to have something small like that with a detachabe camera head. I think that I have seen something similat for mountain biking. the camera lens goes on the helmet and the recorder can be worn on the back or wait. I know of NO housings for them.

With my camera mounted the way it is I can zoom in to cut the bands out of my shot or zoom out to include them in the shot.
Jon

As I stated in post #14, I was selling my giant Ocean Images housing so I can grow up to be just like you guys :eek: . Well the housing sold, I did my research, and I looked high and low for the best deals I could find. Here is my outcome:

I decided to go with Canon's new G7 instead of the S80 due to a few advanced features that make it a real shining star for underwater filming. The Canon G7, Canon WP-DC11 underwater housing, Sandisk 2GB Ultra2 SD card, additional battery, and Pelican 1300 watertight case with foam all added up to only $753 which is less than what I budgeted for the S80 setup. The camera and housing were purchased from an authorized Canon dealer to insure valid warranties.

I also picked up a Riffe Euro gun because the reel attachment area is perfectly preset for mounting a bracket and camera. The bracket is my next project. I will post the finished setup as soon as I get it done.

Jim

:)

[Edit: "Don't anyone tell Eric about this thread, ..............because I used my Liquivision F1 money on this camera setup. :t ]

Attachments

• Canon 1.JPG
    Canon 1.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Canon 2.JPG
    Canon 2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Canon 3.JPG
    Canon 3.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 168
  • Canon 4.JPG
    Canon 4.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
looks like the major trick is still being able to sight down the bolt for a good shot with a camera in your face! :p
maby a raised camera that sits on top of an H styled mount from the Butt of the gun, that allows easy loading, to allow an un interrupted view for the HUNT! I also think a camera mounted on the front or middle of the gun pointed at the diver sould be pretty cool for a few action shots in a VID. or how about a raised camera from a weight vest, or strap system, to show the body posture and angle of attack during a dive. even a floating camera at the float in wide angle mode would yield something interesting to look at.

the Video camera will need reasonably good resolution, and fairly excellent low light exposure using ambient lighting, and should be small. noot sure what models those would be though.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT