• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Unidentified friend!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Hiya

On my last trip to the tuna grounds i came across a pod of these majestic mammals. Not exactly sure what species they are. First thought they were dolphins, but when we got closer, they looked far to big. The rounded head also got me stumped?? Maybe some specie of whale perhaps. Any ideas??

Regards
miles

Attachments

• whale.jpg
    whale.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 376
another pic

Attachments

• whale2.jpg
    whale2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 343
last one

Attachments

• whale3.jpg
    whale3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 350
Those a PILOT WHALES Miles. They are there, for the same reason as you. To hunt the tuna. Here in the straits they tend to be a nuisance to anglers as they drive the tuna away.

Thanx!!!!

So what do you reckon, follow thw whales, then speed past them and then jump in and shoot the tuna they're chasing?:D :D
Sounds like i've got a new tecnique to try!!!! :D :D

I'm just happy they weren't Killer whales!!! Don't know how i'm gonna react when i see one of those in the water!!!!!

Regards
miles

Originally posted by miles
So what do you reckon, follow thw whales, then speed past them and then jump in and shoot the tuna they're chasing?:D :D
Sounds like i've got a new tecnique to try!!!! :D :D
LOL With the size youve been catching recently, I wouldnt ne supprised if you jumped in and shot one of the Pilots ;)

Originally posted by miles

I'm just happy they weren't Killer whales!!! Don't know how i'm gonna react when i see one of those in the water!!!!!
grab a camera mate!! :)

Hey Brutta Borsa, there is an extra dot at the end of that url that is stopping it loading. Nice website once your there :) going back for another scan

beware

Miles, I don't know if what you said was a joke, but I would think 10X before jumpin in the water with pilot whales. They can be dangerous.

beware

Miles, I don't know if what you said was a joke, but I would think 10X before jumpin in the water with pilot whales. They can be dangerous.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT