• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

unruly line release...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shark_whisperer

Mar 14, 2007
Aloha-
So, I've got a Beuchat Mundial 100 and I recently lent it to a buddy of mine. Apparently he stored it for a month or two with the 12 ft mono shooting line unwrapped... and in sort of a tangle too.

I've tried wrapping the line again, but the line is several inches too short of the hook, and when i muscle it into place, theres a LOT of tension on the release hook. Ultimately it just overloads the hook and the whole thing pops open.

I assume that the mono has just contracted over time and this results in too much pressure on the release? I disconnected the line, laid it out, and put it under traction in an attempt to stretch it out again over a couple days or something.

Is this the right solution or should i just get a new line?

thanks!

put the line out in the sun on a hot day. It'll make the mono more stretchy and more pliable. Then refit it to the gun after that. If the sun doesn't get it hot enough you can heat the mono up yourself using a blow dryer or heat gun, but the key is really to let it get hot over a long period of time so the sun would probably work best.

personally I'd rather put it in hot water, and maybe heat it up on a stove if you need to do it slowly? I'd be worried about the sun damaging the line and possibly making it brittle. I realise you're only doing it once but I'd still go with the boiling water approach.

Just my 2c worth, I'm not an experienced spearo, but I've played around with hot water and my floating float line.

Hiya

The most obvious solution is simply to fit new mono to the gun.

Another couple of options:
Fit a muzzle bungee to the gun.
If it already has a muzzle bungee, fit a longer one!!
If you have a clip or a muzzle bungee on, you could also use a thin peice of strong cord to lengthen the spearline.

What you must remember, as mono stretches, it'll lose its strength. Not critical if you're hunting 1-2kg fish, but it could well pop on bigger fish.

Rather just rerig your gun or take it to your local dive shop for them to rig it for you. Two crimps and some mono really costs very little!!

Regards
miles

I'm with miles, rather spend the $20 and get new mono than lose your spear coz you didn't want to spend money. You could always invoice ya mate for the new mono and crimps that way it costs you nothing rofl

As the boys said, just change the line. Line costs pennies.

Shark-whisperer,

Change the mono. It's not only safer and costs little as has been mentioned before:

The line release of the Beuchat Mundial operates vertically, i.e. line release hook is held in place by the weight of the shaft when installed.

=> As a consequence, on a Beuchat Mundial you should have only little strech on the shaft-line, because any excessive stretch will lift the shaft at rear (lever effect of the line-release) and may cause an inaccurate shot.

Cheers, ulysses

P.S. Needless to say, I have the same gun :friday

All-
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the sun stretch method before i got a chance to read other replies and it didnt really work... it lengthened a bit, but still too short. I'll probably end up rerigging.

Ulysses-
Couldn't have explained the release mech. better myself.

Yet another successful deeperblue forum.

Thanks again, and happy diving!

Shark-whisperer,

Change the mono. It's not only safer and costs little as has been mentioned before:

The line release of the Beuchat Mundial operates vertically, i.e. line release hook is held in place by the weight of the shaft when installed.

=> As a consequence, on a Beuchat Mundial you should have only little strech on the shaft-line, because any excessive stretch will lift the shaft at rear (lever effect of the line-release) and may cause an inaccurate shot.

Cheers, ulysses

P.S. Needless to say, I have the same gun :friday
Exactly, I restring four times a season. probably cost me $3 to restring my gun with 1.8mm mono(350lb I think). You want as little tension as possible on the line release or like ulysses said it will lift the spear. The biggest wear spot is where the mono goes through the spear. If the mono has shrunk this much I wonder about the condition of the rubbers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT