• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Unseen hazards !!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
LittleJohn,

That's the best spearfishing related story I've read since Anderson last posted one. I just read it and I'm grinning from ear to ear:D

Cheers to you, Rocky!:ko

I think "LittleJohn" is not so "little". (think Robin Hood). Good story. Did you recover your fish?

Angelos

Thats awesome littlejohn. When things like that happen remember you are the one holding the gun :D

We have this problems with spanish fishermen who come to our coastline and use 5 or 6 rods each. Good sharp knife and cut the lines is what we do. When youve done it 2 or 3 times they get pissed off and leave hehe

Never been threatened though which is strange. I would get to practice my Jujitsu.
:p

That's an awesome story. I copied it and sent it out to all of my tank-diving buddies. :D

Jon

Hehehe good story.. i have a couple to add myself..
I was diving off a small beach in Cornwall float etc up on the surface and me waiting in about 8m hunting bass... I could hear a boat above me somewhere but wasnt worried when all of a sudden i was being dragged up to the surface by my float line to be faced with a typical old school fisherman f*ing and blinding at me for stealing all his lobsters and scaring 'HIS' fish.. well i did have a lobster.. out of a hole mind not one of his pots. Reasoning as always didnt work and he proceded to stab a large hole in my float and buggered off. By now very annoyed i headed back with a flat float.. when low and behold the same man chugs alongside me.. expecting the worst i stuck my head up to be greeted with a merry 'goodafternoon mate' (the cheek) it transpired one of his pots was stuck and would i mind very much unsticking it for him... :duh so the loverly generous part of me said why not.. while the vidictive part dropped to the bottom removed the lobsters (dont put them up your wetsuit!!) and cut the line.. bringing them up seperately i threw them at his boat and sodded off home.. feeling smug if not a little mean!!
One of my favourite times was at a big harbour we had just landed the boat and were unloading our bass and gear when an obviously drunk fisherman showed up giving us hell about taking the fish stocks and this and that.. an arguement started and he pulled a filleting knife.. at which point me and my friend were ready to admit defeat. But unknown to him another spearo friend of ours was packing his car up and watching the whole thing, now this bloke is australian and rather large.. he tapped the fisherman on the shoulder and quoted the immortal line from crocodile dundee.. 'you call that a knife..?' at which point the fisherman looks down at his knife only to be thrown over the boat and into the harbour to a round of applause from the locals who had been watching the whole time!!
Damn cant people be stupid!

I have had very good time talking to the fishos at Devon area, they are friendly bunch who rarely catch anything but area always ready to borrow their knowledge and filleting knife.. and telling me which of the fish I got was good to eat and which ones I should leave alone next time... :)
Once I came up to beach with four nice sized bass hanging from my stringer and there was buch of young men fishing right by, they all came to me and congratulated me for my good catch and then proceeded to take photographs to their wifes of me and the fish, so they could prove that there was good fish swimming right there and they should be allowed more time to try to catch them for "tea".... I thought it was funny, but I was too broke to donate any of them to the men as I sold my fish at that time...

I only had one "drive-over" experience was very unconfortable and I am sure the men had no clue what they had just done...:( should have some way to "wake" the boatsmen up, if they seem to be on their way to drive over you..

Pekka

Glad to hear you get on well with the fishers in devon, in truth my stories are the exceptions but i guess it does happen. Pekka dont get caught selling those fish as its a big no no in the UK although common place with many divers!
Cheers Joe

Glad to hear you get on well with the fishers in devon, in truth my stories are the exceptions but i guess it does happen. Pekka dont get caught selling those fish as its a big no no in the UK although common place with many divers!
Cheers Joe

Wow it is illegal to sell ones fishes? how strange. Is there a law about that or something?
Not to worry though I think I'll eat my catch in the future, bass is very tasty...

Pekka

Sorry if i scared you Pekka, let me clarify.. in the UK it is illegal to buy or sell speared fish (not sure on rod caught but think thats ok) also in sussex there is some agreed rules but not laws as such reguarding catch sizes and quantitys there is also restrictions on where you can fish namely places designated as bass hatcherys/breeding grounds and nurserys. These exist in places outside Sussex to and as a general rule most spearos tend to steer clear. In sussex breaching these rules can and has led to confiscation of equipment and even boats! Oh an as a matter of interest brought up at my last club meeting spearfishing on scuba in britain IS legal despite widespread thoughts otherwise (legal loophole) but still frowned upon. If you want any more info drop me a message.
Cheers Joe

Reactions: Pekka
Sorry guys, but I wouldn't call the British laws very wise then. Maybe they are a bit outdated...

In most European countries, including my country, the Fishing laws make clear differnce between recreational (sport) fishing and commercial fishing. For sport fishing you just need to buy a permit, while for commercial fishing you need to obtain a license, which is not really easy to get and you have to meet a huge pile of requirements to get your hands on one.
You cannot sell any of your catch if you don't have a commercial fishing license. And that's not all.... Even if you are a commercial fisherman you cannot sell your catch right from your boat. You sell the fish in special markets for initial sale (usually in the harbours). If you are a commercial fisherman you are obliged to keep very exhaustive log of all your catch, sales and stuff...
The spearfishing can be only recreational here and cannot be practiced in public lakes/dams, which is a quite stupid peculiarity of our law. We can spearfish in internal waters only if they are rented/private. Now for spearfishing in the sea you don't need even a recreational fishing permit. You just have to obey the size/bag/season limits. Spearfishing with scuba is strictly forbidden.

IB

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT